Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bavarian telegraph troops belt buckle

Article about: Just picked up the Bavarian telegraph troops’ belt buckle, a souvenir that was brought to Canada from France by a driver in the 36th Canadian Field Artillery. I don’t seem to be finding

Default Bavarian telegraph troops belt buckle

Just picked up the Bavarian telegraph troops’ belt buckle, a souvenir that was brought to Canada from France by a driver in the 36th Canadian Field Artillery. I don’t seem to be finding a lot of these out there; would it be safe to assume that German telegraph troop buckles are uncommon, and the Bavarian version even more so?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bavarian telegraph troops belt buckle
    P
    Many

?

Bavaria did have two telegraph battalions. So I would say that the number of these buckles would have been limited. These buckles are being faked, so there are more of them today than in 1918.

?

Those are some big rivets on the reverse, I have never seen them that big before.. Here are two examples, and yes , they are being faked, usually the fakes have extra backing plates on the reverse.. JMO.. G
    Photo Credits: MrTarsove and Kirby
    Attached Images Attached Images Bavarian telegraph troops belt buckle  Bavarian telegraph troops belt buckle 

This buckle was brought home by a soldier who didn’t go to France until the middle of 1918. Could this be a late example of the buckle?

?

Sorry, I can't help much on the dating of the buckle, is there any provenance ? I'll leave the rest for the others to comment on..

Yes, as I mentioned in the opening post, the buckle came from a driver in the Canadian Field Artillery. He went to France in the middle of 1918 and came home in the spring of 1919. I have his name and regimental number, and a handful of other items he saved from the war.