Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Proofs on WWI Luger

Article about: Hello, I recently picked up a unit marked 1916 WWI Luger that has some British proofs on it was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on them. Under the barrel is a Nitro proof and

?

Default British Proofs on WWI Luger

Hello,

I recently picked up a unit marked 1916 WWI Luger that has some British proofs on it was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on them. Under the barrel is a Nitro proof and then on several spots on the luger there are a very small horizontal crown over something (can't make out for sure). Is there any information that can be gleaned from the marks? Would this have been something a soldier bringing a weapon home would need to do or some kind of British military capture mark?

Thanks, appreciate any help,
    Nick

British Proofs on WWI LugerBritish Proofs on WWI LugerBritish Proofs on WWI LugerBritish Proofs on WWI Luger

British Nitro Proof markings would be added prior to a weapon’s release onto the civilian market. So at some point someone, presumably the veteran who brought it back, or perhaps a descendant or new owner, had it proofed prior to using it as a shooter.

Handguns were banned in the UK in 1997, so it must have been moved out of the country prior to then, otherwise it would have been deactivated.

B.B.

?

Thanks for the quick reply B.B. and info, very helpful. The Luger made it's way to the US sometime prior to 1968 as there is no import mark on it. Is there any way to tell when the British proofs were applied or are they fairly generic?

Nick

Quote by nickh View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply B.B. and info, very helpful. The Luger made it's way to the US sometime prior to 1968 as there is no import mark on it. Is there any way to tell when the British proofs were applied or are they fairly generic?

Nick
    Here's a table for dating British Nitro Proof markings. As you can see, they've been in use for some time, and are still used today.

Found on this page, with some additional information that may be of interest to you: Proof mark dates for British Guns

B.B.

Also, the proof markings on the right side of the slide appear to be German ones (as indicated by the Imperial-style eagle). If I had to guess, this was passed out of German military service and onto the civilian market, and from there it somehow passed from Germany to Britain, and from there to the United States.

B.B.

?

At some point it was with the 21st Bavarian Infantry Regiment.

?

Thanks, I had found that proof chart looking online as well, the raised arm with a sword has been around since 1904, I was curious if the m/m might make the mark pre-1945 like Walther Magazine markings. The fractur marks on the RS are normal for German production however the small crown next to them I've not seen before on an imperial, I thought it might be some kind of British marking, I've circled below, it shows up on several locations on the pistol, it sorta looked like a sideways crown with something under it but I really couldn't make it out for sure.

I've been doing research on the 21st, it was part of the 5th Bavarian Division and pretty active on the Western Front. Interesting how they handled the Bavarian mark using the Bay. instead of the more common "B".

Thanks!
    Nick

Last edited by nickh; 01-18-2021 at 10:18 PM.

The 'M/M' marking indicates the caliber of the firearm, with the slash between the two M's being a common British practice for ammo designations. Some examples below, on a headstamp and on an ammunition carton.

British Proofs on WWI LugerBritish Proofs on WWI Luger

It's possible the small crown is an Imperial proof mark, added during the weapon's manufacturing process. I'm not familiar with WWI Lugers, so that's nothing more than an educated guess on my part.

Regards, B.B.

?

I believe that the small crown is over an L , which is a Bavarian military acceptance mark