Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone identify this belt pouch?

Article about: I came across this item, simply identified as a "WWI Belt Pouch". It looks like the center of a Gew98 triple ammo pouch, but I don't have one so I can't compare the size. The thing

Default Can anyone identify this belt pouch?

I came across this item, simply identified as a "WWI Belt Pouch".

It looks like the center of a Gew98 triple ammo pouch, but I don't have one so I can't compare the size. The thing that got my attention was the D.W.M. stamp along with a Navy Crown/M acceptance stamp

Inside dimensions are: 3 3/8" H, 3" W and 2 7/8" front to back (86mm x 76mm x 73mm).

The only photo I have of a similar pouch is this one. But the belt pouches in the photo look like they aren't as deep front to back, although it's hard to tell for sure.

Can anyone identify this belt pouch?

Anyone seen a pouch like this before?

Can anyone identify this belt pouch? Can anyone identify this belt pouch? Can anyone identify this belt pouch? Can anyone identify this belt pouch? Can anyone identify this belt pouch? Can anyone identify this belt pouch?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can anyone identify this belt pouch?
    P
    Many

?

It appears to be an Imperial Navy ammo pouch.
    Nice find. This has to be rare.

?

These single navy pouches were normally black. The late date and condition of this pouch explain why it was not blackened. It was never issued. These were originally intended for naval landing troops and were likely not being worn by the naval troops in the trenches in 1918, as they would have been wearing the army pattern pouches for combat.

?

Sorry, but the pouch, going by form, color and the round stitching for the tab on the lid is Austrian, not German.

The "D.W.M." and "1918" markings were applied post service, they are not original.

Quote by CCMJR View Post
    These single navy pouches were normally black. The late date and condition of this pouch explain why it was not blackened. It was never issued. These were originally intended for naval landing troops and were likely not being worn by the naval troops in the trenches in 1918, as they would have been wearing the army pattern pouches for combat.
    Have you seen one of these pouches, or a photo of one being used by a landing part? The belt pouches in the photo I posted were being worn by men carryinig P.04 pistols. Their pouches, which appear thinner front to back, are almost certainly the ones issued to landing parties and carried two boxes of ammo in addition to the three loaded magazines each man had.
    You are correct about the later brown. I have several Type II (belt carry) P.04 holsters as well as a Navy belt and Type II pouch. All are brown.

Quote by USNV5 View Post
    Sorry, but the pouch, going by form, color and the round stitching for the tab on the lid is Austrian, not German.

The "D.W.M." and "1918" markings were applied post service, they are not original.
    The color is a good match for several other late war Imperial Navy items I have. The only Austrian pouches I've seen have been significantly "non-rectangular" to accomdate Mannlicher ammo. I have a box of Mannlicher ammo, but it will not fit this pouch because of the boxes odd shape. The unboxed clips will also not fit because of the extreme slant of the loaded clips.

This pouch also has an Imperial Crown/M stamp. I recognize that doesn't preclude a fake stamp, but I am an experienced collector of Imperial Navy P.04 pistols along with their accessories and accoutrements, so I've seen a great many of these stamps both real and fake. My fellow experienced and advanced Navy collectors also accept the stamp as authentic.
    Do you have any photos or examples of an Austrian box of this size and shape for comparison?

So much for experience. I am now pretty certain this pouch is a post WWII Romanian pouch for the Mosin Nagant. Although it has an excellent Imperial Navy Crown/M, I had my doubts from the start, which is why I posted it on several forums. My primary doubt from the beginning was the D.W.M. stamp. While DWM made all the Imperial Navy Lugers, as well as Gew98s and MG08s, I've never seen anything leather with a stamp like that. DWM wasn't in the leather business.