Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 109 of 121 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1208

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Hi Guys, just a heads up that I have a brass ashtray coming up for auction at work on Nov 22nd.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hello Ade,
    Do you happen to have a photo or link? Thank you!

Luke

Quote by rogge16 View Post
    Hello Ade,
    Do you happen to have a photo or link? Thank you!

Luke
    Good luck Luke.... have you told Dwight?

Hey Steve. I'll be sure to let him know.

Luke

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model
    I recently acquired this unusual Austro-Hungarian Tinnie that the German-born Austrian sculptor Gustav Gurschner (1873-1970) designed in 1916. In the 26 years that I have been collecting U-Deutschland-related items, I have seen only two of these pins. The exact purpose for the pin was unclear to me other than it appeared to have been struck to commemorate the U-Deutschland’s successful maiden voyage to the United States and her return to Germany in 1916.
    I contacted my long-time friend and fellow collector, Claas Stückmeyer who, it turns out, has an example of the badge in his collection. Claas told me, “This is not a memento for U-Deutschland. Rather, it is a badge of the Austro-Hungarian Navy Association that campaigned for a commercial submarine for Austria-Hungary. Since the k. u. k. Fleet Command saw no need for this type of submarine, the project was never pursued. The badges were still sold until the end of the war. Nevertheless, a nice piece and it belongs to the history of the commercial submarine.”
    The badge, which is 1.5 inches (39mm) by 1,2 inches (30mm) and is made of tin does not have the name U-Deutschland anywhere on it, just the words “Handels U-Boot.” But the figure of the Greek god, Hermes (Mercurius [Mercury] to the Romans) is loaded with symbolic references that could apply equally to the Deutschland. Hermes was the Greek god of, among other things, trade, luck, and travel. Hermes has a Caduceus under his left arm that was an ancient astrological symbol of commerce. And the wreath in his right hand is the symbol of victory.
    The artist, Gustav Gurschner, was born in Mühldorf, Germany and moved to Vienna in 1888 where he studied at the Kunstgewerbeschule (School of Applied Arts). He spent the rest of his life in Vienna where he was recognized as an Austrian sculptor whose work combined of Art Nouveau and Wiener Werkstätte aesthetics. He was active in the decorative arts and a member of the Vienna Secession. His studio was in central Vienna.
    My feeling is that even though Gurschner designed the badge for the Austro-Hungarian Navy Association's drive to collect money for an Austro-Hungarian commercial U-boat, the badge is loaded with so much symbolism that points to the U-Deutschland, that it is impossible to miss the connection. As Claas wrote, it belongs to the history of the commercial submarine, and I am pleased to have it in my collection. Dwight

Very interesting
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Glad you were able to snag this one up. It would look great in any U-Deutschland collection. Now to just find one for my collection!
    Thanks for sharing and bringing this tinnie to my attention.

Luke

To underscore the symbolism of Mercury on the Tinnie, here is a commemorative coin featuring Alfred Lohmann the DOR Director. Dwight

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Hi everybody,
    hope you had nice x-mas.
    I found this coffee mug on ebay and it arrieved today

All the best
    Claas

Dwight: Did you own this Lohmann medal?