Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Could use a little help with an new M16 helmet

Article about: Hello all, I recently acquired this beautiful helmet from an antique store the other day. I don't see anything that would make me think its fake, but there is an odd shield-shaped insignia t

Default Could use a little help with an new M16 helmet

Hello all,

I recently acquired this beautiful helmet from an antique store the other day. I don't see anything that would make me think its fake, but there is an odd shield-shaped insignia that was scratched off on the left side. With a loop, I can see remnants of blue and white paint (hard to picture). Does anybody have any idea what it could have been?

Could use a little help with an new M16 helmetCould use a little help with an new M16 helmetCould use a little help with an new M16 helmetCould use a little help with an new M16 helmetCould use a little help with an new M16 helmetCould use a little help with an new M16 helmetCould use a little help with an new M16 helmetCould use a little help with an new M16 helmetCould use a little help with an new M16 helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Could use a little help with an new M16 helmet
    P
    Many

That is indeed a beautiful M16 with a great liner, nice paint and named. Aside from the missing chinstrap, hard to find complete like that these days. Is there a manufacturers stamp inside the shell?

Regarding the insignia, hard to say going on what remains. Perhaps used by the Reichswher after WW1 and the marking was some type of hand painted provincial symbol?? Blue and white are the Bayern colours. Having said that, the markings could still be WW1 period.

Interestingly, I can also see black lines to right of white painted section in the shape of a another shield. There are also other marks to the left like old adhesive. Perhaps these markings are the remains of an old mail home label that was removed over the last 100 years??

It’s really hard to say and the above are just hypothesis. Unfortunately we will most likely never know but it doesn’t detract from your helmet in any way in my opinion.

Andy

Thank you for your assessment Andy. The usual comments i get are “looks good”.

I found the placement of the shield a little odd since it wasn’t under the ventilation lug. Maybe I’m just used to third reich helmets.

I got this with the intention of reselling it, so its going to hurt when I do

Looks like a really great example, I also agree that the shield is either from the reichswear(1919-1935) or a ww1 period shield. As for the size of the helmet, from what I can see it looks like a size 64, but could also be a size 62. The shape of the ventlugs determine what size the shell is, the more larger sizes(66 and 68), had a more simple design without the extra step on the ventlugs. Downbelow is my own example showing a size 62 and size 66.Another important thing to look for is the makerstamp situated close to the chinstrapposts, inside the dome of the helmet should also be a batchnumber. When handling this helmet I would recommend using gloves at all times as the oil from your skin could produce surface rust on the helmet.

Size 62 shell. Could use a little help with an new M16 helmet.Could use a little help with an new M16 helmet.Could use a little help with an new M16 helmet

Size 66 shell.Could use a little help with an new M16 helmet. Could use a little help with an new M16 helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Could use a little help with an new M16 helmet  

MAP
    ?

Quote by Eagle mtn View Post
    Thank you for your assessment Andy. The usual comments i get are “looks good”.
    Looks Good!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The maker/size stamp is G62. What does the G stand for?

The G stamp stands for Gebrueder Gnuechtel A.G., Lauter i./Sa. They only made helmets in size 62. Could use a little help with an new M16 helmet

Best regards Kai

Eagle, the shield is indeed in an odd place for a shield but you do sometimes see all sorts of insignia on Imperial helmets. We recently had one posted that was had a period painted symbol on the front of a man climbing a ladder!

PM me if you think of selling it and arrive at a price as I might be interested.

Andy

Double post deleted.

Andy

I suppose you think you're real funny MAP haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast