Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Is this currency?

Article about: I have had this kicking around for some time. I just found it again and it got me wondering if this is currency or something else. Perhaps someone can set me right on this? Thanks for lookin

Default Is this currency?

I have had this kicking around for some time. I just found it again and it got me wondering if this is currency or something else.
    Perhaps someone can set me right on this?
    Thanks for looking!!
    Is this currency?
    Is this currency?
    Is this currency?
    Is this currency?
    Is this currency?
    Is this currency?
    So, it is a 50 Mark bill. It isn't in terrible shape, probably could have gotten better, but it was only a dollar US. Being dated 1914, it falls in with a future grouping of Imperial German WW1 items. Seems like a large bill for someone to carry around in their pockets!

?

Could it be a bond of some sorts ?? G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Could it be a bond of some sorts ?? G
    I guess from what I can find, it is a 50 mark bill. I was curious because some said Reichs Bank on them and then there seems to be some like this.

When I got the note above, I also got this one;
    Is this currency?
    Is this currency?
    I gave the guy a dollar for the two.

?

This one looked very familiar, so I pulled out an old box of German items my Great Aunt gave me back in the mid-1980s. Box also included a lot of 1923 paper currency, the worthless millions mark type etc. My example has the same 1914 date. I'd be interested to know more as well. Perhaps a native German speaker can translate - would be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this currency?   Is this currency?  

Is this currency?   Is this currency?  

Definitely currency, and from before the financial collapse of the 1920s. Can't imagine there are too many of these around, and for a single dollar I wouldn't complain!
    There are fold marks on it, which would suggest it's been in and out of a good few wallets and cash registers in its time. When the Reichsmark collapsed, I imagine these lower-denomination notes became virtually useless.

B.B.

The Darlehnskassenschein notes were issued as “loan currency” by the German Government during times of war and such. The note you’ve got there is from the 1st Issue of these. Over the period of 1914 to 1922, these notes were printed and distributed in 5 issues as a form of emergency currency. They were and they Weren't actual currency but were required to be spent as such. They were, however, Not able to be cashed into Gold Marks. They were considered more of a loan than true official currency. Unfortunately, today, they are pretty much worthless.

The Italian note is from 1966 and is issued by the Italian State. Since Italy joined into the Euro system, the people had until 2012 to redeem the older notes for Euros after which time, they became unspendable. Again, this note is worth very little. But it's a nice curio!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks William! I didn't pay much for it, and don't care to sell it. I will add it to the collection as it is interesting. The 500 Lire note can go with the rest of the Lire coins I have, brought back by my grandparents when visiting family. There is even a 1940's Facist coin in that bunch.
    Thanks again!