Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dating picture with sailors SMS Wettin

Article about: I got this pictureframe with some sailors who followed infantry training. I wish I could know from what date, or period because an exact date is hard to say, it would be. I think if you look

Default Dating picture with sailors SMS Wettin

I got this pictureframe with some sailors who followed infantry training.

I wish I could know from what date, or period because an exact date is hard to say, it would be. I think if you look at some details you can see hints from what time it is.

Also it says 'Ausbildung', training. The SMS Wettin was used as training ship from 1916 till 1921. So it would make sence that it is from between that period. The seller said it was pre-ww1, so that makes my theory wrong. At least if he has proof it is from before ww1.

Can anyone help me date this picture?
    (If you want a picture of a specific part, feel free to ask)

No one?

I would say WW1.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Reichscollector View Post
    /.../

Also it says 'Ausbildung', training. The SMS Wettin was used as training ship from 1916 till 1921. So it would make sence that it is from between that period. The seller said it was pre-ww1, so that makes my theory wrong. At least if he has proof it is from before ww1.

/.../
    This is not marine training, but infantry training for sailors ("unsere infanterische Ausbildung"). So, I suppose, picture is from the period, before SMS Wettin became school ship.

greetings
    Tomasz

The S.M.S. WETTIN was a so-called Linienschiff (no more then that)
    and served for the navy from October 1, 1902 through June 17, 1916. The tally
    S.M.S. WETTIN was worn during the period as when the ship was a Linienschiff.
    It's crew being 683 men. The "Wettin" was subsequently used as a training ship
    for naval cadets; she also acted as a depot ship. The boat was no longer listed
    since March 11, 1920. It was then scrapped!

(information from "Die Mützenbänder der Deutschen Marine"
    from my friends Bernd Wedeking and Markus Bodeux).

?

I think most naval recruits received "infanteristisch Ausbildung". So, I don't believe that would date the photo. These are trainees with normal weapons and equipment for these types of photos. There is nothing shown that one could assign a wartime date to, but on the other hand there is no reason why all these items could not be used during the war. I agree with you in that "...an exact date is hard to say...".

CCMJR