Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Detailed Look into a 1917 Kar 98a Carbine

Article about: A Detailed Look at an Imperial German WWI Carbine On display today is a WWI Kar 98a, later known as Kar98 AZ. Produced at Erfurt in 1917 this particular specimen is mostly matching and true

Post Detailed Look into a 1917 Kar 98a Carbine

A Detailed Look at an Imperial German WWI Carbine

On display today is a WWI Kar 98AZ, later known as Kar 98a. Produced at Erfurt in 1917 this particular specimen is mostly matching and true to German fashion it bears dozens of marks, proofs, and stamps. Join me while I stumble through my interpretations of what they mean, and correct me in the comments.

Starting with a view at a distance, we can see that this rifle has the longer handguard, immediately distinguishing it from the K98k’s which would follow this design. In WWI, this pattern was produced for support and cavalry, and this example is no exception.

Much like the Enfield socket, there’s much to learn about this rifle from the receiver markings. Above the chamber we see Erfurt’s crown and the 1917 date of manufacture. At the junction with the barrel we see a 7,92 stamp indicating the chambering in 8mm Mauser. To the right of these, we see the three proof marks for hardness, assembly, and final fit. Above the mark on the far left (hardness) we see a faint “RC” with crown, indicating that this receiver was referred to a secondary review after failing initial testing. Thankfully for us, it passed this second inspection and was marked accordingly.

On the left side of the receiver we see Weimar eagle proof, suggesting it survived the war still in Germany. Those with an eagle eye might notice the final fit proofmark on the recoil lug.

Forward of the receiver, we see that even late in 1917 rifles were still being shipped with distance markings on the underside of rear sight. Additionally, we see the serial number is stamped on both components of the slide and the ladder, along with a pair of acceptance marks. Despite being late in the war, the fit, finish, and overall quality of this rifle is noteworthy, especially considering the 98a model was not intended for frontline combat.

On the bottom metal we see acceptance marks and more serial numbers, even on the screws. Across this entire rifle, we continue to see the same 08 serial repeated time and time again. Here the only piece which doesn’t match is the bottom metal, itself carrying 10 as the last serial digits, however there appears to have been a superficial attempt to strike it out. Under that serial we see a very faint final fit proofmark similar to what we saw on the receiver.

Moving to the bolt, we see much of the same story, 08 repeated across many parts, however on the back of the cocking piece, we see an interesting conflict - the original serial of the cocking piece has been overstamped. Underneath the newer 08, we can barely make out a 1 and a zero. Was this bolt from the same host as the bottom metal? We find this same 08-over-10 stamping on the safety flag, however the bolt body, handle, and top of the extractor all carry the original 08 serial marking. On the base of the handle we even find the unshortened serial number with the alphabetic serial block “UU” - there is no mistaking the fact that this bolt and receiver left the factory together, and somewhere down the line it received several parts from a single donor rifle.

With grasping grooves, a takedown washer, and a single-piece stock, the stock appears correct for a 1917 rifle. During 1917, Erfurt produced just shy of 500,000 units, totaling quite a few of these throughout the war. However what makes this particular unit distinctive is the faint 1920 mark impressed into the stock. Coupled with the weimar eagle on the receiver, it seems likely this rifle was still in German inventory in the interwar period.

Moving further back, we find some very interesting news, as well as a real bummer. The buttplate on this particular rifle sports a regimental marking of 2/R.R.15.27, which I believe suggests that this rifle was issued to the 2nd cavalry regiment, 15th company, rack 27.

Now for the bad news. While most of the rifle is matching, the buttplate is overstamped with a serial number 9422, covering up what appears to be an original 551 - neither of which are correct for this rifle. While there isn’t any meaningful way to identify when the stock and action were paired, it seems reasonable that if it had occurred in the interwar period we would have seen these components would have been force-matched or at least had their markings stricken. While it’s possible that these were late WWII repairs where matching may not have mattered, there isn’t much evidence I can find to support more than mere speculation.

In one final chapter to the history of this rifle, we find evidence that it was at least nominally sporterized. The top of the charger bridge has been milled down, and on the right rear of the receiver we find that it’s been drilled and tapped. While thankfully almost invisible to most observers, it still represents a hat tip to the many pieces of history which have been irreparably “modernized.”

In addition to the uncertainty of the action and stock pairing, this rifle still leaves a few mysteries for me, below are some of the more notable ones.

Under the rear sight ladder, there is an X mark as seen in the earlier photos. I have practically no idea what that mark might indicate, especially given that it appears more than once. Is this possibly a verification of zero after being rebuilt?

On the bottom of the nose cap, between the cap and stacking rod we see a stamped number 2, followed by what appears to be an R or a B within a circle. The nose cap is marked with these same two stamps on the front and rear band of the part, but neither of these stamps can be found anywhere else on any other part. I was able to find references to Brazilian Mausers with a B in circle stamp, however the style of the mark does not match and this is clearly not a Brazilian import. Additionally, on the top of this part we do find the correct 08 stamping, suggesting this part was original to the rifle. Could this be a repair code, or does it signify something else?

Detailed Look into a 1917 Kar 98a Carbine Detailed Look into a 1917 Kar 98a Carbine

The sling is clearly vintage, however I have very little knowledge or experience with them, and so all I can say about it is that the clasp carries an unusual icon in a circle. On the retainer at the end of the sling, the loop has the digits 2809-7013. Curious if anyone has any resources on slings from this period.

Lastly, while I’m guessing that 2/R.R. indicates the Reiter Regiment, I’ve found evidence suggesting it could also indicate a Rekrutensdepot. Are there any good resources for identifying regimental markings and their histories?

If additional pictures or measurements help to clarify, I'm glad to gather addition photos or details.
    If this belongs in another subforum, let me know and I'll move it there.

Sources:
    Weimar Republic Proofing and Acceptance | Gewehr 98
    The Kar98a Long Version - Ye Connecticut Gun Guild
    Mauser Bolt Rifles - Ludwig Olsen
    Last edited by Roman C; 01-21-2021 at 03:38 AM.

Quote by Roman C View Post
    A Detailed Look at an Imperial German WWI Carbine...........................

Much like the Enfield socket, there’s much to learn about this rifle from the receiver markings. Above the chamber we see Erfurt’s crown and the 1917 date of manufacture. At the junction with the barrel we see a 7,92 stamp indicating the chambering in 8mm Mauser. To the right of these, we see the three proof marks for hardness, assembly, and final fit. Above the mark on the far left (hardness) we see a faint “RC” with crown, indicating that this receiver was referred to a secondary review after failing initial testing. Thankfully for us, it passed this second inspection and was marked accordingly.
    At one time I had a fairly decent late example of a Karbine from Erfurt that I had to let go because I had doubts about its quality as I had planned to shoot it. Possibly because of ammunition that was too powerful and/or a soft receiver, the bolt had "set back" that created difficulty when opening the bolt which had to overcome the new recesses in the receiver ring that were not there when it was made.

Quote by Roman C View Post
    The sling is clearly vintage, however I have very little knowledge or experience with them, and so all I can say about it is that the clasp carries an unusual icon in a circle. On the retainer at the end of the sling, the loop has the digits 2809-7013. Curious if anyone has any resources on slings from this period.
    As for the sling I strongly suspect that it may be Israeli surplus. Best Regards, Fred

For better or worse, I've collected quite a few 'non shooters' in the collection, including a 5-digit 1903 Springfield. Since these are both in that category, I'm not deterred by the first hardness failure, and if it were to ever take ammo it would likely be intentionally downloaded to minimum spec to prevent exactly that kind of damage. Especially given the mercury sulfate primers, I'd rather exclude old surplus from the range entirely. I hope that old Karbine found a good home and that your current receivers are stronger!

Thanks kindly for the lead on the Israeli sling. I think you're exactly right - I'd only heard in passing of the history of Mausers in Israel, and had never seen one of these slings, however a quick search turns up slings with this exact character and the digit markings on the loop.

Nice gun and great description. I would not be afraid to shoot it. It looks like it has already been tested enough for me.
    John

?

Thanks for posting, very interesting. I too have a 1917 Erfurt that my Great Uncle Jack brought home from WW1. The post war history of my piece is the stuff that gives collectors nightmares.

Nicely presented thread (way outside my league) Thank you for showing.

Thanks for this, very interesting, I also have a 1917 Erfurt Kar-98 which has a duffel bag cut on the stock so I assume it was a doughboy bring back. Based on your presentation I'll have to examine mine further!!