Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Eichhorn private purchase trench knife

Article about: Hello everyone, Is my title correct of this knife ? I browsed through the pinned topic and I saw a very similar one. This knife is manufactured during WW1 for officers ? As trench knives go

Default Eichhorn private purchase trench knife

Hello everyone,

Is my title correct of this knife ? I browsed through the pinned topic and I saw a very similar one.

This knife is manufactured during WW1 for officers ?
    As trench knives go how would you consider rarity and condition of this one ?

Sorry for the questions as it is not my collecting area ;-)

Thanks for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eichhorn private purchase trench knife   Eichhorn private purchase trench knife  

Eichhorn private purchase trench knife   Eichhorn private purchase trench knife  

Eichhorn private purchase trench knife   Eichhorn private purchase trench knife  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eichhorn private purchase trench knife
    P
    Many

Hello Frank,
    I would say that your title is very close.
    As this has a functioning mortise slot and button, I would refer to this as a bayonet/fighting knife. The period of manufacture would be more likely post WW I, and Pre WW II.
    This, back to back squirrel, maker's mark time period will likely be narrowed down by some of the more studied members.
    My Eickhorn example with an earlier maker's mark would be more in line with WW I production.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Awesome!! Two real beauties and love the blade shape. Am sure the blade steel is top notch from those days. Thanks for sharing

Very nice condition Eickhorn fighting knife of the Imperial era Frank. As is Ralph's example. The trademark (back to back squirrels) was used by Eickhorn between 1906-1921, so I think we can safely say a "WW1 fighting knife". As a private purchase knife I believe anyone could have bought it, so not limited to use by officers. Not rare but desirable, especially ones in the condition of both yours and Ralphs. Thanks for showing us.

Interesting that the front leather piece of the frog appears to be re-purposed from a piece of British 1914 pattern leather equipment noting the grained leather and what looks like the hole where the brass stud was removed.

An interesting observation on Ralph's knife. The rear part of the hanger is Imperial German, but the front piece as you observe has been fitted to hold the smaller knife rather than a bayonet. And it may be British as you say. That would suggest wartime "trench modification". Sharp eyes Mark.