Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Expensive buckle for discussion

Article about: This buckle was posted on another gun forum. I thought it might be an informative conversation. The seller (the grey blanket) always seems to get big money for the stuff he sells. Here is th

Wish I could help John but I've never seen one like it before.
    But also, I'm not a buckle guy.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Expensive buckle for discussion
    P
    Many

Ahh John ya missed a bargain
    AU $1,567.33

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Ahh John ya missed a bargain
    AU $1,567.33
    I figure I saved my monies for something good; even though I have no idea what this is. I might be dumb. I do not buy the story.
    John

?

Here is an older thread where the Colonial era Dragon buckle is discussed, though briefly. One of the 1st buckles I bought was a Colonial buckle that is shown here. Didn't know much about it, just liked it. Interesting thread:

Pre WWI Colonial Buckle

?

This thread should be moved to the the German Imperial Buckles forum.

Quote by weller View Post
    This thread should be moved to the the German Imperial Buckles forum.
    I agree and thought that is where I put it. I do not think I can move the thread though.
    John

Hello,

A highly knowledgeable buckle collector friend (Kirby) who is a forum member here, and he's also on WAF, discussed this buckle with me before the auction ended, and we both have some reservations about it.

Notice how the "roping" edge border on the disk is not present from about the 10 o'clock area until the 12 o'clock area? There are also areas on the dragon and other parts of the design on the applied disk where the details are either very worn down, or not very visible. Was this disk a copy of another disk, or are these actual highly worn areas on the dragon, and on that part of the rope border edge area from the buckle actually being used/worn? We don't know, as we can't examine the buckle in person. The seller normally does not use eBay's enlargeable photo service, and I specifically asked him to use it with this buckle auction of his, and he changed it so we could see a bit larger photos.

A friend of Kirby's and myself has 3-different sizes of this type of Dragon buckle. The dragon design details are different from each on each of his 3-different buckles. Kirby sent me pics to my phone of our friend's buckles. I don't know if the Dragon design on this recent auction buckle is the same match as on any of our friend's 3-buckles or not. I haven't tried to match any of them up yet to his buckles. I'll have to try and do that for my curiosity sake.

Best Regards,

Alan

Expensive buckle for discussionExpensive buckle for discussionExpensive buckle for discussionExpensive buckle for discussionExpensive buckle for discussion