MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Experience with WKC restorations?

Article about: Hello Forum, I own an Original Prussian M1889 Saber, which is in a rather bad state. I recently found out that its Original manufaturer, WKC Solingen offers restorations and i would like to

Default Experience with WKC restorations?

Hello Forum,

I own an Original Prussian M1889 Saber, which is in a rather bad state. I recently found out that its Original manufaturer, WKC Solingen offers restorations and i would like to know if you have any experience with them?

Normally i would not consider restoring it, and economically it is not a good choice either, but the Saber has the crest of a Noble Family that owned my favourite Castle engraved and is a one of a kind piece, which probably sat on an attic for decades and has thus suffered greatly. It is a representation piece anyways, so it wouldnt loose any battle history etc, but simply the effects of bad storage, and i would like to restore it to its former glory.

All help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Adravor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Experience with WKC restorations?
    P
    Many

Interesting idea. I think from the position of most collectors, if you are talking re-plating it could well be expensive and exceed the value of the sword. It may also effect resaleability as generally with antiques substantial refurbishment is less desirable than honest patina. It could end up in the "over restored" category. But could be worth checking out what they can do at what cost.

If you can afford it, and since it is "one of a kind", I would be willing to let the original manufacturer restore it.
    I'm sure they will do it no harm.
    Interesting that that service is offered by them!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I know that it would cost more then its worth, but its something exceptionally special to me, and i am certain i will never sell this sword in my life. I will tell you what they respond, and what exactly they propose, aswell as the costs!

It is indeed very interesting they offer this service, i came upon it more by accident, but was faccinated that they still exist, produce modern versions of their classical sword designs and also refurbish their original ones. That is a determination to tradition!

MAP
    ?

I would consider it as well. But it would require some heavy research and I would like to see some before and after photos of their work...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I think this service is great and demonstrates the pride end tradition of the company. They think over more than one generation. I think they would, if you decide to take this step, listen to all you wishes and worries and come up with a restoration plan together with you.

Good luck and please document the proces for the forum if you will go for it.

Cheers Paul