Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia

Article about: Since I've commented a lot on other people's Freikorps items, I thought I would start a thread around the central theme of Freikorps and Weimar era and show some of my collection from time t

Default Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia

Since I've commented a lot on other people's Freikorps items, I thought I would start a thread around the central theme of Freikorps and Weimar era and show some of my collection from time to time.

I'll start off with a bang and show probably one of the rarest Freikorps awards, interestly instituted rather late during the Third Reich.

For years, it was generally thought that the last Freikorps award was the "Commemorative Badge of the City of Würzburg" (Erinnerungsplakette der Stadt Würzburg) given to members of Freikorps Würzburg in 1934 on the 15th anniversary of its formation. Freikorps Würzburg was formed from the Bavarian Reserve Jäger Regiment 15, which returned to Germany from Georgia in April 1919 after a long sea trip by British merchant ship from the Black Sea to northern Germany and a train journey south to Bavaria. Bavarian Reserve Jäger Regiment 15 literally arrived at the Würzburg train station after their very circuitous and arduous return home and immediately volunteered to form Freikorps Würzburg, got back on the train and headed to Munich to join other Freikorps already taking up positions outside the city. It took part in the heavy fighting in Munich against the Munich Soviet Republic on May 2-3, 1919. Here is that badge.

Subsequently, Freikorps awards were prohibited for wear by active members of the German Armed Forces from 1935 onwards (with the exception of the Silesian Eagle, Baltic Cross, Kärntner Cross and Schlageter Shield) and it was generally thought that the Würzburg badge therefore was the last official Freikorps award.

However, another Freikorps award, instituted in 1937, two years after the prohibition date has come to light, and therefore replaces the Freikorps Würzburg badge as the likely candidate for the last Freikorps award.

"Honor and Commemorative Badge for the Liberators of Munich 1919" (Ehren- und Erinnerungszeichen der Befreier Münchens 1919) has been known about for some time, but wrongly identified in references, until recently.

There are two minor variations of the badge shown here. The one on the right is from my collection and the one on the left recently sold in auction at Herman Historica along with documentation for €2,700. I've also attached the award document that was part of the Herman Historica lot.

Despite this apparently being a general award given in 1937 by the local Munich authorities and therefore likely open to any of the 30,000+ Freikorps (including Freikorps Würzburg) who participated in the battle in May 1919, it is an extremely rare badge.

A memorial to the veterans of the May 1919 liberation of Munich was dedicated in 1942 and destroyed by the US Army in 1945. Here is an image of it from the Bavarian State Archives.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia
    P
    Many

Der Reichsverband der Baltikumkämpfer

Organization for Freikorps veterans of the Baltic Campaigns, 1919-1920.

Founded as the Verein Ehemaliger Baltenkämpfer (Association of Former Baltic Fighters) in Magdeburg in 1921. In 1933, it was renamed Der Reichsverband der Baltikumkämpfer . On June 2-3, 1934 a reunion of the 36,000 members was held at Castle Saaleck where a large limestone plaque honoring the fallen of the Baltic campaign was installed in the east tower with a speech from the former Baltic commander, Graf Rüdiger von der Goltz. The association was disbanded in June 1936 by Interior Minister Wilhelm Frick.

Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insigniaFreikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia
    1933 membership stickpin of Reichsverband der Baltikumkämpfer

1935 membership stickpin when the association was also called the Kameradschaft Baltikum und Freikorpskämpfer

An early (1922) membership card and a 1933 membership certificate showing the two official names of this association.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia   Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia  

Many thanks for sharing both your items and your knowledge. Though I do not collect Freikorps items I find the history very interesting. I look forward to your continuing updates.

Very Much looking forward to your Updates - I'm sure we can expect a Highly Interesting & Most Educational Thread...
    cheers, Glenn

Could you possibly provide some information on this particular Stick-Pin? I've had it for about 3 years and have seen it identified as an Eiserne Division 10 Year Anniversary Piece...Is that correct? I believe that Kai Winkler has one on offer as an "SS Sympathizer" Pin...A positive ID would be greatly appreciated on my end...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia   Freikorps and Weimar era awards and unit badges and insignia  

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Could you possibly provide some information on this particular Stick-Pin? I've had it for about 3 years and have seen it identified as an Eiserne Division 10 Year Anniversary Piece...Is that correct? I believe that Kai Winkler has one on offer as an "SS Sympathizer" Pin...A positive ID would be greatly appreciated on my end...
    cheers, Glenn
    These skull pins have knocked around for years identified as Freikorps or SS. I don't think they're either. I believe they're possibly some sort of veteran's pin for the Prussian Leib Husaren Regiment or just some generic skull pin that was available off-the-shelf for any organization from Free Masons to student groups to use. German catalogues were full of this stuff in the 1920s and 30s. The Eiserne Division pins were silver and black enamel with a skull and the words "Und Doch" on them. Here's the 15 year pin given out in 1934. The 10 year is supposedly the same, but without the swastika.

As far as I know, the SS pin is the one that's round, silver and black enamel with silver SS runes in the center marked "Hofstatter Bonn / Gesch Gesch" on the reverse.

The best reference for German stickpins is André Hüsken's "CATALOGUE OF GERMAN MEMBERSHIP STICKPINS & BADGES".

CBH
    ?

It has the look of a Danziger Tk of a tradition Lieb-Husaren Kav Regt 5. , but I usually like to see a fluted pin on German military pins, I was surprised to see this practice is still continued on modern Bundeswehr lapel pins.

Quote by CBH View Post
    It has the look of a Danziger Tk of a tradition Lieb-Husaren Kav Regt 5. , but I usually like to see a fluted pin on German military pins, I was surprised to see this practice is still continued on modern Bundeswehr lapel pins.
    That's a valid point and something I noticed. I'm personally always uneasy with stickpins that don't have the "screw" ribbing that allowed the tubular safety nut (almost always missing) to screw into place. Also, pins lacking this are usually very flimsy and easily bent. That's why I think that this was just a generic skull pin (albeit period and not a fake) that anyone could buy and not necessarily something military-related. Lots of collectors, especially "skull" collectors have this badge in their collections. As a result, I've heard lots of exotic theories and stories about what these are, over the years. But, IMO they weren't meant to be anything specific. The skull was a popular motif in the German paramilitary groups, Free Masons, student societies and carnivals. It could have been used for any or all of these.

The Flimsy Reverse Set-Up is reminiscent of some of the Tinnies we see...But yes, otherwise I would always look for a Twist in the Needle...Good to hear that at least it's a Period Piece and not another Fake, thanks!
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 05-15-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Quote by CBH View Post
    Not just on military ones, actually, but on any good quality stickpin.
    My own DRK-, DGzRS- and DGO stickpins all have the knurled pin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast