Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Gösch of the German Empire

Article about: Hello everyone, I recently saw this Gösch/jack from the Imperial German Navy. In my opinion it is an original. Both the quality and the labels seem to be ok. The Gösch has a size of 72 x 1

?

Default Gösch of the German Empire

Hello everyone,

I recently saw this Gösch/jack from the Imperial German Navy. In my opinion it is an original. Both the quality and the labels seem to be ok. The Gösch has a size of 72 x 102 cm (stamped "GÖSCH 0.7 x 1.0m"). On the back it has the Gothic naval acceptance stamp "M" under the imperial crown and a supplier's label "Grossherzl. Mecklbg. Hoflieferanten Bernhard Richter, Cöln".

What worries me is the condition. The colors seem to have darkened and overall the Gösch looks quite spotty and dirty. In particular, the white spots on the black stripe and the black cross worry me. Could that be mold? (since most of the white spots on the photos look quite round, I somehow have to think of mold colonies). Strangely enough, I only see them on the black areas... (Unfortunately I don't have any pictures with a better resolution, but I hope you can see it.)

Since I have never dealt with textiles (flags, clothing, etc.) before, I wanted to hear your experiences as to whether it is mold and what the risk is (both for the flag and for health), and what you think of the condition. Should the flag be cleaned somehow or treated if it is moldy? Would you buy a flag in this condition?

I look forward to hearing your opinions. Every contribution is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Wolf

I like the looks of this flag. I'm no expert but it looks original to me.
    As I don't collect fabric items, I'm afraid that I can't be of any help with the
    discoloration issues.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

K9G
    ?

Did you buy it?
    It looks original to me, depending on price I would buy it. Yes it looks like mold but dont clean it Its part of the flag and patina

Bernhard Richter was a flag factory in Cologne back then.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gösch of the German Empire  
    Last edited by K9G; 11-04-2023 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Missing letters