Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German 1898/05 Bayonet

Article about: Hello to all! I recently bought a bayonet butcher nA model. Made by F.Koeller and Anker Werke with the very rare A.W. w/anchor marking which had no date for Prussia. But he also has no inspe

Dok
    ?

Default German 1898/05 Bayonet

Hi all!
    I recently bought a bayonet butcher nA model. Made by F.Koeller and Anker Werke with the very rare A.W. w/anchor marking which had no date for Prussia. But he also has no inspection marks anywhere. Why?
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German 1898/05 Bayonet   German 1898/05 Bayonet  

German 1898/05 Bayonet   German 1898/05 Bayonet  

German 1898/05 Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German 1898/05 Bayonet
    P
    Many

The acceptance was usually on the handle head. This one is heavily reworked ... it was rusty and has been sanded down. The residues of the acceptance were also removed.

greetings

Dok, this thread and any further on S98/05 bayonets you should post in the "WW1 and Imperial forum". And perhaps the mod could transfer the thread to Imperial.

Good looking bayo. But as mentioned, it has been heavily cleaned .
    Who ever did the cleaning did a good job as there is very little remaining sanding marks.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Dok
    ?

Thanks for your opinion. I think there were no imperial marks on this bayonet. It's not that it's well cleaned. I see a very good factory condition of the metal. The wood trims lie flat with the handle head and I can also see that the splines on the bolts are intact. I will measure the size of the arm head and compare with my other bayonets. As an example, I will give an identical bayonet Anker Werke and F.Koller, which has not been restored and has no imperial marks either. I have in my collection a sea butcher Simson Suhl, which also does not have an imperial mark on the head of the handle.
    German 1898/05 Bayonet
    German 1898/05 Bayonet
    German 1898/05 Bayonet
    German 1898/05 Bayonet
    Last edited by Dok; 09-17-2020 at 07:17 AM.

The company of Franz Koeller & Cie only made bayonets during the First World war, so Imperial era. Anker -Werke was actually a retailer, not a manufacturer and only sold bayonets during WW1. It's possible this bayonet it never had military acceptance marks if it was produced for a State organisation, Postal, Railways etc.

Dok
    ?

I compared the sizes of five different bayonets 98/05. The average size turned out to be in the range of 18 -18.3 mm, while the Anker Werke bayonet was 18.5 mm. What rough processing in this case can we talk about? It is the same as it was 100 years ago, of course it was used, perhaps it was slightly polished in our time.

German 1898/05 Bayonet
    German 1898/05 Bayonet

Still a good looking knife.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Agree with Chopperman, a very tidy bayonet!

Andy

Still a good looking bayonet, but it has been cleaned, notice the pitting on the crossguard. That is old rust that has been removed. And those grip screw heads recessed into the grip would not shine like that with out recent cleaning. A little work with 400 grade abrasive paper? But who cares, still a nice bayonet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast