Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?

Article about: This helmet was offered for sale so I only can post these images, I know that they are not the best quality or angle, sorry for that. My guess is that it is not an original, but I am no expe

?

Default German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?

This helmet was offered for sale so I only can post these images, I know that they are not the best quality or angle, sorry for that. My guess is that it is not an original, but I am no expert in this topic. The cut-out is too short in my opinion (compared to the visor), and also the rivet is not in the right position to the cut-out, at least compared to the few original helmets I have seen (but this can also be because of the different sizes I think?). Also the rust seem a bit too "new". So my guess is that it is not original, or maybe an original "normal" helmet what was modified later to be a cutout version. Any opinions on this?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?   German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?  

German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?   German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?
    P
    Many

?

Wait for others... This is all I can add, I believe after the great war ( WW 1 ) a lot of German helmets were destroyed, could be one of those ?, JMO.. I'm not a helmet guy.. G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

It is a good one. The WWI produced M18 ECO's are all ET 64. There is the expected flare at the apex of the cut out. I'll post a few pictures of a few real ones so you can compare the shape. Jim G.

These should give you a good frame of reference. I don't think the thread starter was demilitarized after The Great War with a pick ax. The last few pictures show what that damage would look like. Usually the worker hit the helmet twice with the pick ax, leaving 2 pretty easily identifiable holes.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?   German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?  

German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?   German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?  

German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?  

A nice helmet shell, the damage to it being consistent with a high velocity shrapnel impact.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Hello DavK,

the shell appears to be original. The ear cut also fits an M18 ECO. In the case of fakes, these are usually cut too deeply or have a wrong angle of curvature. All in all, I don't see any red flags on this helmet shell. If you like it, go for it. As for the damage I agree with Jim G., this is not from a pick ax. I have also seen helmets with only one hole from a pick ax, but in contrast to this helmet shell, they always have a very characteristic angular impact point.

Best regards
    Wolf

The other thing is that the fakes are made from mild ( low carbon ) steel - which does NOT crack like that - even with the stress of deep drawing the steel - they are way too soft!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Thanks for all the answers! I asked the seller and they said that there are no markings visible in the shell. As far as I know, all ear cut out shells are marked. Considering the conditon of the helmet in question, is it possible that the markings were faded due to rust or abrasion? Or should I consider this a red flag?

I am virtually certain it's a good shell. On one of mine the ET64 stamp is very hard to make out. The stepped lug on the right of your shell shows it is a size 64, the flare at the apex of each cut out is correct, and the profile and the way it sits on the table looks 100% right. The issue would be the price for a relic. Hope you get it. Jim G.

I agree with all of the valid points that Jim has raised. It has all the character traits of a real ECO in my opinion and I have never seen a fake that ticks all of the boxes.

I note the front of shell shows some pitting and wonder of the area where the size and maker was stamped is simply worn and the stamping was weak. Of the examples I have seen, the size stamp has been quite light with the average height of the font being 4.08 milimetres.

I would ask the seller for further pictures of the manufacturer stamp location. You may need to describe to them where to find them.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast