Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Ersatz Reserve pass document

Article about: Im not really sure what this is or what it says. I speak some German but I can barely read a lot of this information. What was the importance of this document? Can anyone read it better than

Default German Ersatz Reserve pass document

Im not really sure what this is or what it says. I speak some German but I can barely read a lot of this information. What was the importance of this document? Can anyone read it better than I can? Thanks for anyone who can help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Ersatz Reserve pass document   German Ersatz Reserve pass document  

German Ersatz Reserve pass document  

I don't read German and i don't collect paper items
    but I believe this is his military identification booklet.

It looks like Mr. Niedermann was born May 11, 1865.
    It gives his place of birth, his religion. he was in the infantry.
    I can't make out the rest.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

This ID booklet was issued to him in 1885, after he completed three years of active service. His family name appears to me to be Niedmann, he was in the Braunschweig administrative district, was a Lutheran, single, no children. I cannot make out what his profession was in item 2, nor can I read what the reason was for him being transferred to the Replacement Reserve in item 5, but I suspect that it says that he was released from active service. According to the conscription law of 3 September 1814, that remained in force until 1919, the liability for service lasted 27 years starting with a 3-year stint on active service when he was 17. Following active service, he would have entered the reserve for seven years, which is the reason for this ID booklet, and then do eighteen years in the Landsturm. The Landsturm was divided into two classes; the 1st contingent and the 2nd contingent. On the last page he is told that he will be transferred to the Landsturm first contingent on 1 October 1892. He was further advised that the transfer to the Landsturm 2nd contingent takes place in peace without further ado on March 31 of the calendar year in which his 39th year of life is completed, unless a transfer back to a younger year class was ordered. Dwight

?

Hello all,

I'm also in the process of translating an Ersatzreservepasz from the same period (1882) that belonged to my wife's great-grandfather who left Germany before WWI and became a reservist based in South America.

It is a challenge to read and translate old German type and script... but with a little practice it becomes easier. In addition to the translation from drmessimer, I'd add that the profession of the owner mentioned in the pass is that of a "Schlosser", meaning a locksmith.

I'll share some pictures from the one that I'm currently translating in a following post.

Cheers
    Murilo