Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German m16 helmet

Article about: Hello there, I'm new to this forum and recently bought a german m16 helmet on my recent visit to the Somme. Not in bad condition for the price I paid for, but would like some advice for &quo

Default German m16 helmet

Hello there, I'm new to this forum and recently bought a german m16 helmet on my recent visit to the Somme. Not in bad condition for the price I paid for, but would like some advice for "treating" the rusting process in that no more rust will spread and deteriorate the piece of history! Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German m16 helmet
    P
    Many

?

Detailed pictures would help.
    Regards,
    John

Helmet photos

German m16 helmetGerman m16 helmetGerman m16 helmetGerman m16 helmetGerman m16 helmetGerman m16 helmetGerman m16 helmetGerman m16 helmetGerman m16 helmetGerman m16 helmet

Helmet photos , second try

MAP
    ?

Some of the other guys will sometimes treat lids so they can describe what they do. But for me, I just keep the helmet as is, dry and in a low humidity environment.

I would take off the tape too unless it is structurally unsound.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

You may be better off to just leave as is.It looks very thin in places.

Welcome to the forum Whammyburger, personally I would leave this alone as it has survived this well so far, the rust will never improve and as long as you keep it in a nice dry environment as Michael has said, it should not get any worse. You could seal with an oil or Vaseline coating, but the helmet will then look shiney and that is not to everyone's taste. Leon.

Leave it be!...

To me it seems a bit like the rust here's pretty active... although only surface rust it seems a pretty aggressive orange from these photos. I would easily go with Renaissance Wax --- you can get it on ebay. It preserves and seals, leaves a dull (very soft sheen) surface while brightening up whatever paint may be left. It's widely accepted as the best way of sealing a surface that's in danger of corrosion, this while being non-intrusive and, as I've gathered, mostly reversible.
    I use it whenever necessary on my relics. Either that or leave it alone.

Oil is very intrusive, some say it can even promote rust, plus it ruins the nice relic look by leaving it shiny and greasy so I personally never use it Only times I might consider using oil is for gun parts and various other internal relic parts.

Opinions and tastes may differ but I believe Renaissance Wax is your best friend here, by far. btw: I'm not their spokesperson, even if it may seem that way

Thanks for the reply, the tape is used to hold the large crack in which without reveals a large gap in the helmet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast