Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

German S98 Bayonet shortened

Article about: Hello everyone! I just got this S98 bayonet, paid \\$85CAN for it. Im wondering if this bayonet could be all original ww1 which was maybe broken and fixed in the field. the blade now measures

?

Default German S98 Bayonet shortened

Hello everyone!

I just got this S98 bayonet, paid $85CAN for it. Im wondering if this bayonet could be all original ww1 which was maybe broken and fixed in the field. the blade now measures ~12 1/2 inches and look like it was ground by a slow moving stone/wheel. Im hoping its not one of those bayonet which the Turkish has destroyed as they always do!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks (sorry pictures are added backwards!)

German S98 Bayonet shortenedGerman S98 Bayonet shortenedGerman S98 Bayonet shortenedGerman S98 Bayonet shortenedGerman S98 Bayonet shortenedGerman S98 Bayonet shortened

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German S98 Bayonet shortened
    P
    Many

Quote by JBrunt View Post
    Hello everyone!

I just got this S98 bayonet, paid $85CAN for it. Im wondering if this bayonet could be all original ww1 which was maybe broken and fixed in the field. the blade now measures ~12 1/2 inches and look like it was ground by a slow moving stone/wheel. Im hoping its not one of those bayonet which the Turkish has destroyed as they always do!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks (sorry pictures are added backwards!)
    Doesn't look like a Turkish conversion as they would normally shorten to 10" and put them in a metal scabbard.

The Imperial Navy is known to have used shortened S98's and there's period photos confirming that. Your bayonet isn't Naval, but given the Germans great need for bayonets especially during the early war years it seems likely that yours could have been repointed after being broken in the field rather than being discarded.

Here's a few I've picked up, all have different blade lengths ranging from 9.5" to 12". Two are marked to naval units: 1st Matrosen Division & the II Seebataillon and the others to infantry regiments.

?

Thanks for your opinion! I didn't think it was Turkish because 1, blade is not 10 inches and 2, the end of the bayonet is slightly but clearly bent at the end where its been repointed which makes me believe it was broken.

Thank god! I feel bad for bayonets which have been destroyed by turkey (in my opinion) Like a sawbuck I have