Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9

Article about: In the first part of this thread, some history of the German and British navies in World War I will be discussed with particular emphasis on the development and deployment of the German subm

German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9
    On the right “Otto Weddigen is the name of the captain, U -9 his slim boat and pounding, the black, white and red flag is blowing in the storm.”
    On the left, “The trail from your earth days was short, but your brave struggle daring, daring will be unforgettable forever. You will live a hero in song, as long as there will be Germans on earth, you will be your name immortal hero.”

On the back of the postcard it reads, “Hamburg sacrificial day 1 Nov. 1915, for Christmas gifts for the existing troops in the field.” Another example of a welfare postcard used during World War I to generate donations to the injured soldiers and sailors and their families.

Attachment 1379745Attachment 1379746
    Back side of postcard: Welfare card of the patriotic women’s provincial association Berlin for the purpose of war welfare

Otto Weddigen and crew of U-9 and U-29 members. Photograph appearing in The Illustrated War News March 1915.
    The Illustrated War News (first issue Volume 1, August 1914), was a weekly magazine during the First World War, published by the Illustrated London News and Sketch Ltd. of London, England.
    Upon the outbreak of the first World War the magazine The Illustrated London News began to publish illustrated reports related entirely to the war and entitled it The Illustrated War News. The magazine comprised 48 pages of articles, photographs, diagrams and maps printed in landscape format. From 1916 it was issued as a 40-page publication in portrait format. It was reputed to have the largest number of artist-correspondents reporting on the progress of the war. It ceased publication in 1918.

Additional photographs of the Crew of U-9 and their Captain Otto Weddigen. "Our Heroes"
    German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9

German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9
    The victorious commander of U-9,KapitänleutnantWeddigen with his young wife (left).Otto Weddigen and wife. Photo taken at Kiel. (right)

Additional postcards of U-9
    German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9

“In battle, true God preserves the German proud kingdom.”

German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9
    Welfare postcards for benefit of the Red Cross. The postcards cost 10pf and 3-6 pf were donated to the Red Cross and other causes.

U-boat in the Kiel Canal.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast