Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

German WW1 Dog Tag Group, Machine Gun Battalion

Article about: Hello, picked up this little group recently, do you guys think im right with my assumption the small tag refers to the "Festungs-Maschinengewehr-Zug" i thinkmit would fit perfectly

?

Default German WW1 Dog Tag Group, Machine Gun Battalion

Hello,
    picked up this little group recently, do you guys think im right with my assumption the small tag refers to the "Festungs-Maschinengewehr-Zug" i think it would fit perfectly to the rest the since the other tag is to the same guy as "Machinengewehr Scharfschützen Trupp"?????

would appreciate any views on this.

best regards.
    - Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images German WW1 Dog Tag Group, Machine Gun Battalion  German WW1 Dog Tag Group, Machine Gun Battalion 

?

Hello Ben,
    My view is that it’s a Feld-Maschinengewehr-Zug tag? The Festung units seemed to mostly be organized as a Trupp, Kompanie, or Abteilungen. Then was transferred at some point to the Scharfschützen Abt. after which were created in early 1916. Probably not the gospel however.

Regards, Ben

?

Ben,
    First of nice Name, ok that seems possible aswell... I have not considered that before i will Look into that possibility more... But actually now thinking about it, i do have a medal with clasp to the machine gun troops from ww1 and i know they also say "Feld- Machinengewehr Zug xxx" (shortened of course) i think you possibily nailed it right there.

Thanks, best regards.
    - Ben

?

Am I reading this correct that it’s stamped F.M.G.Z Nr. 206? I have been searching around for more info on these.

?

Yes it is… his soldier number in the unit on Both tags is 916… actually I’m a dumbass if the number stayed the same it should be 2 different names for the same unit???? Wouldn’t it????

I did get the tag directly from family he was a machine gunner, I did talk to the guys grandson… if he finds a picture he hopefully will not forget to contact me… I would love to have a picture of the guy wearing that machine gunners badge.

?

Ok, I had a hell of a search without finding any with this number. Finally found something and I’m pretty positive it points to the Feld-Maschinengewehr-Zug Nr. 206. I found the list of gefallen from 1914-mid 1917 for the unit. The 2. Kurhessisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 82.

Found this photo of a machine gun crew with a captured Russian maxim. From the regiment, not sure if it’s from their MG Komp or the MG Zug.
    German WW1 Dog Tag Group, Machine Gun Battalion

MAP
    ?

Neat tag Ben

Great research Witt (Ben)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)