Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife in great condition.

Article about: Hi wanting to show this trench knife in great condition I got recently. Had one similar a few years back, but it was Germany marked. Anyone seen anything similar of the scabbard with dots of

?

Default Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife in great condition.

Hi wanting to show this trench knife in great condition I got recently.
    Had one similar a few years back, but it was Germany marked. Same pebbled leather. Normally even on the mint ones the scabbard leather is oil soaked.
    Anyone seen anything similar of the scabbard with dots of paint missing? Was it a storage thing? Doesn't look like this got much action.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife in great condition.
    P
    Many

?

Maybe this should be posted in: Bayonets and trench knives of the world thread.

Default Odd handle's retention pins.

Greetings,

Not viewed an example with the depressed circle around the handle's attaching pins before (see red arrows). What I have observed, is the pins were ground flat to the handles with no gap or visible depression. This "flatness" is quite apparent even on well worn variants and is not simply dirt, which has filled in the noted circular depression.

Wish you still had (I assume you don't) your "Germany" marked post war USA export version (you had mentioned) to view (via photos) the pairs' retention pins side by side. Amazing conditioned knife if an un-messed with example yet, those oddly finished retention pins cause me pause to wonder if we are simply seeing the work of a more recent master craftsman.

And too, if I'm being honest, I'm not a fan of the handles bright colors as compared to an originals; must have spent the last 100 years in an air tight sarcophagus. Just my 2Cts and of course, I would like to hear others thoughts/opinions.

Best,

V/r Lance

?

Thank you for the reply, interesting take.
    Judging by the leather gasket, and scabbard leather I do believe it to be stored very well.
    Here is the other side. In hand I do believe the wood original.
    But I have read your posts and respect your opinion.

?

Here is the side on question. I do believe the back was used to hammer something.
    Also, the blade is slightly sharpened, so the knife is not without wear.
    Thanks again.

?

This one at the beginning of the thread has a similar pin on the Gottlieb side.
    WW1 Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife?

Best regards.

Agree with Lance's view. I believe this is a skillful reproduction that has retro-improved an commercial repro. I particularly draw attention to replaced leather hanger, a hand made "flower" button, incorrect front scabbard rivet, grips appear to to be tropical hard wood, scabbard appears to be black painted over plated metal (should be paint on bare steel), odd grip rivets. I think this knife is actually one of the Indian made ones, clever work but still a fake in my view.

Compare with some real examples;

Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife in great condition.Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife in great condition.Gottlieb Hammesfahr trench knife in great condition.

?

Ok, could be. It's definitely not that soft looking india steel. It has the exact manufacturing as this one:ratisbon even down to the flower rivet under the magnifying glass and the color of the walnut (the above handles look like birch). Of course its more worn.

I did not take the above pics with the bright light on it, perhaps I'll upload my own. The wood and everything doesn't look that bright, and the scabbard has plain steel underneath.

?

Here are some pics, I'm sure the handles are walnut (I have wood experience). If knife is repro, we as collectors have alot to be concerned about (imagine this artificially aged). Maker and proof are sharp on quality steel. Second scabbard I have had with the thick pebbled leather (ten years ago). Thank you for your comments.

BTW smells old, I would expect a different smell.

Last edited by Rick19; 02-06-2021 at 08:13 PM.

Rick my view is unchanged. That leather is way too supple for 100 year old leather. It has the patina of a 10 year old knife. Why is there no oxidation of the bare steel on the scabbard? A finger print on that metal should be enough to brown it. There are some very good repros of this knife type out there, and they have been made since the 1970's. I'm confident it's an enhanced repro. I might add the maker of the snap fastener buttons is still in business, I haven't checked but it could be those "star" or flower buttons are still made.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast