Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Grossherzog Von Hessen Medal

Article about: Hello, I am looking for some information on this medal. I have tried researching it myself. The only cross reference I can find is a Sept 2 1915 Merrit Cross War decoration with the Grossher

Default Grossherzog Von Hessen Medal

Hello, I am looking for some information on this medal. I have tried researching it myself. The only cross reference I can find is a Sept 2 1915 Merrit Cross War decoration with the Grossherzog Von Hessen in the title. However the pictures look nothing like this medal. Please help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grossherzog Von Hessen Medal   Grossherzog Von Hessen Medal  

Grossherzog Von Hessen Medal  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grossherzog Von Hessen Medal
    P
    Many

It's not a medal as such, but a membership badge of a Bavarian veterans' association.

The cross bears the association's name; spelled out, it is: "Vereinigung ehemaliger Angehöriger des Königlich Bayerischen 5. Infanterie-Regiments 'Großherzog von Hessen'", i.e. "Association of former members of the Royal Bavarian 5th Infantry Regiment 'Grand Duke of Hesse'".

The top, left and right arm of the cross display the motto of the Kingdom of Bavaria and its Wittelsbach rulers, as also found on the belt buckles of the Bavarian Army: "In Treue fest"; roughly translated: "steadfast in loyalty" or "firm in fidelity".

As the streamer in the Bavarian colors of white and blue (edged in the national colors of black, white and red) tells us, the association came under the umbrella organisation of the Königlich Bayerischer Veteranen- und Krieger Bund = "Royal Bavarian Veterans' League". ["Krieger" literally means "warrior", but it simply refers to a veteran who has actually served in a war.]

A rather attractive piece.