Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Identify WW1 Sword / Authenticity

Article about: Hi, I recently acquired 2 WW1 swords (I will list them on separate posts). The first appears to be a WW1 Royal Bavarian Plain Hilt Infantry Sword with Double-Etched Blade. It has Maker mark:

?

Default Help Identify WW1 Sword / Authenticity

Hi, I recently acquired 2 WW1 swords (I will list them on separate posts).
    The first appears to be a WW1 Royal Bavarian Plain Hilt Infantry Sword with Double-Etched Blade. It has Maker mark: Back-Back Squirrels C.E. (Carl Eickhorn) stamp on the blade. Engraved on both sides of the blade "In Treue Fest''. The blade is 31 1/2" long.
    I cannot find any other visible markings or stamps on the handle or anyplace else. Is this common? Is this an original WW1 era sword?
    any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Help Identify WW1 Sword / AuthenticityHelp Identify WW1 Sword / AuthenticityHelp Identify WW1 Sword / AuthenticityHelp Identify WW1 Sword / AuthenticityHelp Identify WW1 Sword / AuthenticityHelp Identify WW1 Sword / AuthenticityHelp Identify WW1 Sword / AuthenticityHelp Identify WW1 Sword / AuthenticityHelp Identify WW1 Sword / Authenticity

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Identify WW1 Sword / Authenticity
    P
    Many

Another nice Eickhorn, Bavarian service, probably used pre- WW1. We know from the Eickhorn trade mark (their earliest) that this sword must have been made between 1906 and 1921. But I believe it is pre-1914 as the grips are not Bakelite (Bakelite was commonly used in WW1 Bavarian swords) and the scabbard is not painted black, which was common from the WW1 period onwards.

?

Thanks for the info.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Another nice Eickhorn, Bavarian service, probably used pre- WW1. We know from the Eickhorn trade mark (their earliest) that this sword must have been made between 1906 and 1921. But I believe it is pre-1914 as the grips are not Bakelite (Bakelite was commonly used in WW1 Bavarian swords) and the scabbard is not painted black, which was common from the WW1 period onwards.
    Hi Anderson - I think the scabbard is black (at least it looks black on my monitor). Or do you mean the scabbard is blued but not painted? I have an Eickhorn I'm pretty sure was made during the war and the grip appears to be made of the same material as this one. I'm not saying this one was made during the war, but I'm not sure the scabbard and grip rule it out.

The scabbard appeared to be blued to me, rather than painted. You make a good point though as Eickhorn may well have used these grips into WW1.

?

Anderson, you are correct. The scabbard is blued... and the grips appear to be the same material as the WW2 Eickhorn that I displayed.
    I am not 100% sure, but I believe is "Bakelite"?? (The other scabbard is obviously painted black).
    I appreciate all of your thoughts and info... learning much!

?

I didn't realize blued vs. painted could help date a piece. That's an interesting detail, thanks.

?

Neither did I... always learning something new... thanks

?

A very nice sword. It a shame the scabbard is missing the throat.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Nice swords bud. They in nice condition too!

Yesterday my dad showed me a sword he had. While researching it, it lead me to here.
    His tho is a pretty good bit different on several aspects tho I'm seeing. His basically has the same handle type and shape etc but his main difference is his handle is made from a softer, shark skin like cloth material that's wrapped in wire.
    His etching is nearly identical, but also again, not. His has less designs on the top and bottom end of the main etching. His scabbard is painted either a black or brown, i cant recall
    the exact color. I can tell its paint tho as its chipped in places and has small amounts of rust on the scabbard.
    The weirdest parf is his doesent seem to have a makers mark like yours did. The only making i find was the letter "S" stamped into the blade.
    I apologize in advance. I hastily took some pictures of it, but only because i was in a hurry and i intended them fot my own use only. Had I knew I'd need to share them i would have taken better photos. Sorry.
    So, is his sword real? Or a very well made fake?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast