Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with translation of German Soldiers record.

Article about: I recently acquired a set of Stabsarzt Epauletten from the family of their grandfather Dr. Eugen Dangel, born February 6, 1884. Died May 9, 1962. Dr. Dangel was In WW1 and subsequently a Sta

?

Default Help with translation of German Soldiers record.

I recently acquired a set of Stabsarzt Epauletten from the family of their grandfather Dr. Eugen Dangel, born February 6, 1884. Died May 9, 1962. Dr. Dangel was In WW1 and subsequently a Stabsarzt during WW2. The family only knows that he was in North Africa, contracted “ Spotted Typhus” nearly died, recovered and sent back to his home in Wurzburg to fully recover. The family never knew anything about his WW1 career and very little about his WW2 record.
    If at all possible, I would like some help in the translation of his WW1 military record that I found on ancestry.
    Also if anyone has a keen eye to identify the medals that Dr Dangel is wearing on his uniform. It appears that he has the Iron Cross First class, and a wound badge? Unknown ribbons and an unknown star on his right chest. Any help with these would be greatly appreciated.

Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.Help with translation of German Soldiers record.

Your guy was a prewar soldier, and was mobilised on the 12th of August 1914. He served with the 11. Field Artillery as well as the 18th IR before being posted to a Reserve-Lazarett on 20.4.1915. Looks like he was awarded the Bavarian Military Merit Order 4th Class on 26.10.16 and the EK2 on 9.6.16. I don't see a date for the EK1. You're right about the photo, the star is the Turkish War Medal. The ribbon bar is harder to make out, I would guess an EK2, BMVO4, possibly a Turkish War Medal and a Hindenburg Cross at the end.

?

Great! Thanks! Did you happen to see anything about the wound Badge? Any wounds? From the photo enlarged, I believe it is a WW1 Verwundetenabzeichen?

?

Also, does it have any battles or locations during the war? Or do you think he may have just been in the East/ Turkey/ Middle East?

- - ------- - -

I’m just wondering if the EK 1 was in WW2?

If you could post more images of the pass, there may be more info on awards. The EK1 and wound badge are first war, as the photo is prewar. The Iron Halfmoon was probably awarded for service in the near east. BTW those are handsome shoulder boards.

Hi there.

His awards are listed on the right hand side of photo three and this is how I would read them -

Preußen Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse (25.7.1916)

Militär-Verdienstorden 4.Klasse mit Schwertern (26.10.1916) *

Turkish Eiserner Halbmond (14.6.1918) In English, Gallipoli Star.

Preußen Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse (30.10.1918)

* I am not 100% on this award. The script looks like it says M.V.O 4 b?? Schw.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with translation of German Soldiers record.   Help with translation of German Soldiers record.  

Help with translation of German Soldiers record.   Help with translation of German Soldiers record.  

I see that, now I'm confused, as their are two dates for the EK2, and an entry for the BMVK2mS, which is an enlisted award, on 27.7.16.

?

Thank you, very interesting.
    Do it may have been, her received the EK 2 twice?

Very rarely were two EK2's awarded, unless one was on the non-combat ribbon, which did happen.

?

Hi Dave,

The Bayerisches Infanterie Regiment Nr.18 was at the Alsace until May 1915 so he may have been at the front there early 1915.

Hopefully this is a new element to this story you and the family may not have encountered yet. I discovered it partially by accident while looking for information about Dr. Dangel. It is not related to his military service but rather his time as a graduate student.

In March 1914 Eugen published his medical dissertation while studying at Königlisch Bayerisches Julian Maximilians Universität Würzburg. It was titled Zur Frage der Nomenklatur der "Sturzgeburt" und des "Partus praecipitatus”, speziell bei forensischen Fällen. I thought there was a possibility this was not him until it was confirmed by the curriculum vitae at the end.
    Here he writes, “ I Eugen Dangel, a Württemberg national, was born on the 6th. February 1884 to Gundelsheim (Württemberg) as the son of the local tax officer Gebhard Dangel in Laudenbach and currently lives in Braunsbach (Württemberg).
    After attending the elementary school in Pflaumloch and Braunsbach, I moved into the Kgl. Humanistic high school in Dillingen and Ellwangen. On the latter, I acquired the school-leaving certificate in July 1906.
    I then visited the University of Würzburg from
    W.-S. 1906/07 until the end of the S.-S. 1913.
    I have the medical examination 31. January 1914 ended. From the 5th February 1914 until today I am an intern at the Kgl. University Clinic for Skin and Venereal Diseases.
    I have wrose the above dissertation under the direction of Professor Dr. Julius Stumpf.”

Thankfully it has been posted to Google books and I have linked it below. An interesting element into his medical background that resurfaced at the end of the Great War and during WW2.

Zur Frage der Nomenklatur der "Sturzgeburt" und des "Partus praecipitatus ... - Eugen Dangel - Google Books

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast