MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

I need some help identifying this Imperial German Iron Cross plaque...

Article about: Any ideas what this plaque would have been used for? The reverse suggests it once had a bolt at the center, and looks as if it may have been attached to a wall. It is 5mm thick x 103mm wide

?

Default I need some help identifying this Imperial German Iron Cross plaque...

Any ideas what this plaque would have been used for? The reverse suggests it once had a bolt at the center, and looks as if it may have been attached to a wall. It is 5mm thick x 103mm wide (squared), and has a good amount of weight to it. The base metal appears to be solid copper (it is NOT magnetic). Any help identifying what exactly this is, and in what manner it would have been displayed, would be appreciated.

Possibly from a grave stone or memorial?

?

This hardly needs saying, but isn’t that the perfect centrepiece for any Iron Cross display?!

?

@kohima, my thoughts exactly. Shame it was removed from a grave, if indeed that is correct. Hopefully the grave was already destroyed when it was originally found, and not forcibly removed. Regardless, it's in good hands now and will be respected.

Could quite possibly have been on a grave marker. My understanding is that many of these markers were removed over the years for being seen as too militaristic in their symbolism. I was also told that many of the WW1 plots were only leased for 50 years after which the grave site was re-purposed and the grave marker offered to the family if they wanted it.

I have one example in my collection that is made of steel. I’m very mindful of the significance of such items and prefer such things to be in the custodianship of respectful collectors than buried or melted down.

Andy
    I need some help identifying this Imperial German Iron Cross plaque...I need some help identifying this Imperial German Iron Cross plaque...I need some help identifying this Imperial German Iron Cross plaque...

Indeed, I still remember the small EKs at the bottom of headstones in memory of a Son killed...

That is a great piece
    It very well might have been on a grave marker but also in
    the early days of the war, the iron cross could be found almost anywhere.
    This could have been above a door of a building or on a wall above some officials
    desk. Although the single bolt through the center would suggest something else
    besides the later.

Just saying, it is not necessarily a grave marker.

Mine is cast iron and measures 250.8 mm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I need some help identifying this Imperial German Iron Cross plaque...  
    Last edited by Chopperman; 04-24-2024 at 01:25 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

These are cool pieces, I have a small one with an EK with a wreath around it. I use it as decoration on one of my militaria cabinets.