Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Imperial Cigar Box - Translation help needed

Article about: This is a recent pick up. I am leaning towards the box and engraving being period original but knew it was a gamble when I purchased it. The hallmark matches well with period examples (as we

MAP
    ?

Default Imperial Cigar Box - Translation help needed

This is a recent pick up.

I am leaning towards the box and engraving being period original but knew it was a gamble when I purchased it. The hallmark matches well with period examples (as well as the type of metal it was used on) but any and all patina has been removed with heavy polishing, both inside and out. Someone really went to town on this with the Brasso!

The "con's" are that I think that the rubber caps on the bottom were added at one point in time, and the photo, while original, is more than likely a recent addition as the "cardboard" glued to the back of the photo appears to be modern.

That said, as noted I do think it is a period piece within the date range of the hallmarks, but even if it is a modern fake, I still like it. It displays well and more importantly, something I will actually use.

*** Is there anyone who can help translate the inscription to "Willy" ? It appears that this humidor was a gift for his birthday.

The hallmark is for WMF (Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik, which in English means Wurtemberg Metalware Factory) . WMF was created in 1880. The hallmark is of a running ostrich in a rhombus with a two-line inscription WMF/G, which in turn is placed inside a fully (or partly) dashed arch. The "G" is for the town of the factory which is in Geislingen an der Steige in Wurttemberg. This hallmark was used from 1909 up until the 1930's. Interestingly, prior to 1914 it was used on exports to France.

I have not been able to identify the meaning of the Maltese Cross hallmark.

Imperial Cigar Box  - Translation help needed

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Here are two more photos of the inscription. Maybe providing more clues to help translate

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hard to read but wife says.....Zum Geburtstag (for your birthday), unserem(our) and his name Willer?....next word may be gewidmet (dedicated) followed by unit designation?
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

MAP
    ?

Quote by KatManDude View Post
    Hard to read but wife says.....Zum Geburtstag (for your birthday), unserem(our) and his name Willer?....next word may be gewidmet (dedicated) followed by unit designation?
    Thanks! Very helpful. Really appreciate the help

Now....to decipher this unit. Certainly not an easy one. Never seen a combination of letters like this before.

That's a really nice box Michael.
    I agree that the rubber caps are modern. Hard to say about the picture.
    Could the box have something to do with the DSV (Deutscher Schutzen Verband) shooting association?
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    That's a really nice box Michael.
    I agree that the rubber caps are modern. Hard to say about the picture.
    Could the box have something to do with the DSV (Deutscher Schutzen Verband) shooting association?
    Very possible Greg. I was considering that this might be a civil organization from the post war / Weimar era. But certainly pre-WW2 based on the hallmarks.

I'm open to all ideas and not really concerned what it turns our to be. It displays well and its not often we actually get to use the items we collect LoL

BTW...it is quite small at being only 8x5 inches

I've got one that I use to keep a lot of my small collectible pieces in.
    ( no cigars ).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Cigar Box  - Translation help needed  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Very nice Michael! There’s certainly been a lot of work put into that.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Andy. I'm quite happy with it. Its a real nice supporting piece for the Imperial collection

The inscription is a bit weird, normally it would read 'zum Geburtstag'. Leaving the 'e' on the end of Geburtstag is an archaic form which was abandoned after about 1920. I'm at a loss about the unit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast