Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial German Flag ID Question

Article about: Hope there are some cloth clothing or cloth flag members that can comment on this flag. Here for your inspection is an Imperial German flag that measuers about 35" x 22 1/2". Basic

Default Imperial German Flag ID Question

Hope there are some cloth clothing or cloth flag members that can comment on this flag. Here for your inspection is an Imperial German flag that measuers about 35" x 22 1/2". Basic printed with the heavy sewn in cord and three stamped markings that you can see in the photos. Overall well made and in good condition. I would appreciate any comments as to the authenticity of this being an Imperial period flag. Most all war flags are reproduced as we know, but Third Reich more so than Imperial German IMO, so I hit it with the blacklight test.

So the flag material, printing, cord and cord stitching shows negative reaction to the blacklight, BUT the thread used for the perimeter stitching reinforcement glows strong and bright as you can see in the photo.

This lead me to research synthetic thread history and from a cursory internet search the Germans had synthetic silk fabric and thread in 1890s and "In 1913 German Chemists manufactured textile fibers from Vinyl Chloride."

Thank you in advance for any comments or information on this.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Flag ID Question   Imperial German Flag ID Question  

Imperial German Flag ID Question   Imperial German Flag ID Question  

I'm sceptical of the markings, especially the 'Jagdstaffel II' one, which would indicate the famous Boelcke fighter squadron.

Yes, agree. While one is faking something why not really throw in the towel and go for fame along with it! Thanks for mentioning that point.

Also, why it is marked 'Kriegsflagge' is to me weird, as every German knows self-evidently that this is the war flag.

Odd marks and not really having the look and patina of a century old fabric would lead me to think "recent made".

I had almost identical in my hands few years ago. It was marked as 'Jagdstaffel 11'. Owner said that he bought it in the late 90's on some event as a souvenire.

I agree with what Anderson has said. I may be wrong but it just doesn’t have the look and feel of material from that period. You would think by now that it would have faded somewhat no matter how well it has been stored. Would still look good as a display piece to go along with an Imperial collection.

Agreed, I would certainly hang it up in my bike bunker.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Flag ID Question