Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Imperial Postcards

Article about: Some postcards I picked up today. Neat pieces of history. Some are early war and some are very late war. If anyone wants to help and translate any of what is written I would be greatly appre

MAP
    ?

Default Imperial Postcards

Some postcards I picked up today.

Neat pieces of history. Some are early war and some are very late war.

If anyone wants to help and translate any of what is written I would be greatly appreciative.

Zeppelin

Imperial Postcards

Imperial Postcards

Darning Socks

Imperial Postcards

Imperial Postcards

Happiness and Joy

Imperial Postcards

Imperial Postcards

Little Birds song

Imperial Postcards

Imperial Postcards
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I like the Zep one, that's cool, and what's written on the second is interesting. He talks about 'Hippo' arriving and lying in a bed next to him, must be some sort of mascot. He mentions the Spanish flu, and whether it's still going around, and the fact that he's well except for blisters from a route march.

MAP
    ?

Quote by VtwinVince View Post
    I like the Zep one, that's cool, and what's written on the second is interesting. He talks about 'Hippo' arriving and lying in a bed next to him, must be some sort of mascot. He mentions the Spanish flu, and whether it's still going around, and the fact that he's well except for blisters from a route march.
    Thanks Vince. The Zep was a great one. My favorite too! The others I found interesting in that they try to be humorous in a way despite the brutality of the war.

Thanks for the short recap of the 2nd letter. My German is weak as I've forgotten most of the vocab since learning it in high school but I can usually make out bits and pieces! I got as far as the salutation "Dear Sister" and what appeared to be a question if there is a block / censor on letters but that could be wrong.....LoL!!!!

Unfortunately however, with letters like this, the writing style makes it near impossible for me to even visualize the word in German, so translation is certainly out of the question!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Default Early Red Cross and

Picked up these two post cards yesterday at a local show. The first one is described on the back "Arrival of wounded and food by members of the Red Cross (with the permission of the General Command). This one is fully filled out, and is interestingly dated early in the war being written on 9/18/1914 and post marked the following day. Would love to know what the writing on the back says, so if anyone can point me towards a translator or service I would greatly appreciate it!

The second one is a nice illustration of an observation balloon and an artillery bombardment. This one has a name on the back and some writing where the stamp would go, but doesn't look it was ever sent to anyone. Thank you for reading!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Postcards   Imperial Postcards  

Imperial Postcards   Imperial Postcards  

Imperial Postcards  

These were a great find at the show, can't pick a favorite between the zeppelin art and the one titled happiness and joy.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    These were a great find at the show, can't pick a favorite between the zeppelin art and the one titled happiness and joy.
    Thanks!

You picked up some nice ones too. Feel free to post them here is you like.

?

Map very nice. I picked up a bunch along time ago if I can find them I'll post .

You are correct, the writer notes whether censorship is going on. If you can orient the images the right way round, I can help with further translating.

Cool cards.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

At Steve's request I moved his post cards into this thread. See post #4 above.

Steve: I don't remember seeing the observation balloon example. Not sure how I missed it! Otherwise it would have went home with me! LoL

But two cool postcards. I do like the Red Cross one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast