Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting A Type EK2 1870 with 25 Oakleaves

Article about: Happy New Year 2016 to all Imperial collectors! I would like to show you an extremely interesting EK2 1870 with 25 oakleaves. Core is well known A type in very crisp condition, as on awarded

?

Default Interesting A Type EK2 1870 with 25 Oakleaves

Happy New Year 2016 to all Imperial collectors!

I would like to show you an extremely interesting EK2 1870 with 25 oakleaves. Core is well known A type in very crisp condition, as on awarded pieces. Oakleaves are accepted design attributed to Godet. Mounted on ribbon with ends stitched together.

What makes this cross interesting, is the frame. Yellowish patina (silver with higher amount of alloy), platform for jumpring and overall shape was never seen by me before. First I thought it was AWS, but it´s not matching absolutely. Some beads are crunching, but not all (apart from it, AWS had its own 1870 core design). In hand it looks closer to Steinhauer and Luck jubilee frame design, but again - although there are some similarities, it is not perfect match (and SL had its own 1870 core design as well).

As you can see on pics, frame halves are perfectly closed together, so there is no doubt about this piece being original.

I have learned from experienced colleagues that 1870 EKs were available for purchase by many jewelers. Some sold other makers' EKs, and some made their own. This one is probably one of those smaller jewelers products. There is no other explanation for the combination of A type core in very early shape and later, jubilee era frame. This core was probably waiting long time in some small jeweler shop to be assembled with a frame.

Miro

Interesting A Type EK2 1870 with 25 OakleavesInteresting A Type EK2 1870 with 25 OakleavesInteresting A Type EK2 1870 with 25 OakleavesInteresting A Type EK2 1870 with 25 OakleavesInteresting A Type EK2 1870 with 25 OakleavesInteresting A Type EK2 1870 with 25 OakleavesInteresting A Type EK2 1870 with 25 OakleavesInteresting A Type EK2 1870 with 25 Oakleaves
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting A Type EK2 1870 with 25 Oakleaves  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting A Type EK2 1870 with 25 Oakleaves
    P
    Many

It is an interesting cross. The frame reminds me very much of my 1870
    AWS wideframe. Including the yellow cast to the frame BUT as you said,
    it is not a perfect match. My AWS has much tighter beading in the frame.

Is the frame actually silver. My AWS has an non-silver frame.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Hi Greg,

I can answer you this question tomorrow, as my "court jeweler" is enjoying longer winter vacations than I expected.
    But there is one more feature which speaks against AWS path. The ribbon ring is perfectly soldered. It´s nearly impossible to find the solder point with naked eye. According to my knowledge and experience, the ribbon ring on AWS second classes was always opened.

Miro

Quote by Miro View Post
    According to my knowledge and experience, the ribbon ring on AWS second classes was always opened.
    Miro
    I am not completely sure about that but I do think you might be right.
    gregM

myself around.

?

Hi Greg,

Frame is non-silver. But I still think it´s not enough to consider it as AWS. Steinhauer and Luck´s frame was non-silver too.

Miro

I would suggest letting Trevor look at it. He is an expert on AWS.
    I think he could tell you on way or other.
    gregM

myself around.