Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Jungflieger Badge

Article about: Here is a small aviation-related badge I have owned for quite a while. Unfortunately, so far, I have been unable to find any information on it and have never seen another one, either. Thus,

Default Jungflieger Badge

Here is a small aviation-related badge I have owned for quite a while. Unfortunately, so far, I have been unable to find any information on it and have never seen another one, either. Thus, I thought I would post it in the hope that some other member might know more about it.

From the general style and symbolism, it appears to be from the Imperial German era. The obverse shows a biplane soaring above the clouds and, below that, the inscription "JUNG-/FLIEGER". ("Jungflieger" translates as "Young Aviator" or "Young Flyer".)

Perhaps it is a memership pin or, more likely, some kind of proficiency/qualification badge.

Obverse view. The badge measures ca. 3.2 x 2.3 centimeters:

Jungflieger Badge

Larger obverse viewl:

Jungflieger Badge

Reverse view, showing the Deschler of Munich maker's mark:

Jungflieger Badge

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Jungflieger Badge
    P
    Many

Default Re: Jungflieger Badge

HPL: You are probably right that it is a club pin. The Österreicher Aero-Club has had a Jungfliegergruppe since the mid-1920's. This is the link to a PDF format club history that has a great deal of information about the Jungflieger program. http://www.prop.at/kurzber/2012/110jahre.pdf If this link doesn't work, send me your email address and I'll embed the link in an email to you. I know that will work. I just now tried it and it does work, so you shouldn't have any problem accessing the file.
    Another possible information source is a book by Herbert Hilger, Der Deutsche Jungflieger, 1933. I haven't been able to locate a copy, but it's probably available in Germany from a used book dealer.
    I hope this information is useful to you. Dwight