Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M16 camo helmet

Article about: hi guys I have a question about this "M16 camo helmet". I have exchanged this helmet but now that I have it in my hands I have some doubts about it. The paint is separate and the r

?

Default M16 camo helmet

hi guys

I have a question about this "M16 camo helmet".
    I have exchanged this helmet but now that I have it in my hands I have some doubts about it.
    The paint is separate and the rust seems too young and there is almost no pitting.
    I even still have doubts about the authenticity of the helmet itself. There is also no stamp to be found. what are your thoughts?

greetings
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 camo helmet   M16 camo helmet  

M16 camo helmet   M16 camo helmet  

M16 camo helmet   M16 camo helmet  

M16 camo helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 camo helmet
    P
    Many

It’s an original shell. Obviously no liner but what does the inside look like? Can you please post some photos? Looks like might be a rusted shell that has been painted post war but would be interested in seeing some higher resolution images in natural light. e.g. late afternoon light for a more thorough evaluation. I have a helmet with this same camo pattern and no issues with the colours as Imperial soldiers did deviate from the official mandate.

Andy

As Andy said the shell is good but id say the camo paint was definitely added post war, that red/burgundy color doesn’t look right to me at all and from what I can see in the pictures it looks like I see paint in some of the pits, and as for the rust I agree with you some of it looks fresh but that could be from poor storage.

I can’t enlarge to photos enough without them blurring to really see what is going on with the paint and would be interested in seeing more before concluding either way. While I’m not a huge fan of this helmet so far I would hate to write off a potential original camo due to colours that deviate from the “norm”. For every camoed WW1 German Helmet, there are as many variations in colour schemes including reds and blues etc (see examples below). The rust looks to be over the paint in these images so as has been said, perhaps poor storage.

I look forward to seeing further images of the helmet especially the interior and one on top of the dome.
    M16 camo helmetM16 camo helmetM16 camo helmet

MAP
    ?

I'm certainly on the fence when I saw it this morning. Tough to call from these photos.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I'm not a helmet guy but one lesson that I was taught early in
    my collecting days was " Orange rust is New rust"

AS mentioned, it could be recent storage issues but still a red flag to consider.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I think the paint is old, but just how old is always the question. It does appear from at least one image that the burgundy paint is over a pitted surface.

On the other hand the black separation line on the right side of the helmet is painted over the burgundy. I think it's still hanging in the balans. I think we need more close-up images.

Cheers Paul

I once bought a camo helmet, about same quality as yours without all the fly rust and it seemed my home was to dry and all the red paint started crumbling off, nothing i could do about it.
    So you have that problem with rust, what many people do not realize is when you do not remove all rust and treat it, it will always come back..looking how this helmet is being attacked by rust,
    I'd try to return it, i don't think its savable.