Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M16 Stahlhelm shell questions.

Article about: Howdy everyone, I got this shell as a gift about 10 yrs ago and was wondering what you thought. There are no stamps on the inside so if anyone has any ideas about manufacture or size it woul

Default M16 Stahlhelm shell questions.

Howdy everyone,

I got this shell as a gift about 10 yrs ago and was wondering what you thought. There are no stamps on the inside so if anyone has any ideas about manufacture or size it would be greatly appreciated! As for the paint I feel there is just a bit of camouflage paint remaining but I could be imagining it. There also seems to be a lot of white wash on it? On the inside it looks like red flakes of paint. Any ideas??

Any info would be great to know! Thanks in advance fellas!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 Stahlhelm shell questions.   M16 Stahlhelm shell questions.  

M16 Stahlhelm shell questions.   M16 Stahlhelm shell questions.  

M16 Stahlhelm shell questions.   M16 Stahlhelm shell questions.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Stahlhelm shell questions.
    P
    Many

Hi there,

It’s an original M16 shell in a larger size such as a 66 or 68. This is denoted by the non-stepped vent lugs. I can see a little feldgrau paint on the exterior and more on the interior. There should be a manufacturers and size stamp on the left hand side just behind the chinstrap post. Can’t really see any camo paint at least from these photos but overall a nice large sized shell.

Andy

Forgot to say the white chalk could be the remains of mud from the battlefield. The Somme area in particular was known for its chalky white soil. Could be a bit of old white paint. Although not unheard of, German WW1 helmets were rarely painted white for camo purposes in the field although I have seen a few pictures particularly where the soil is a chalky white.
    Andy

?

Nice M-16 , It looks to have some green left on it??

And as Andy pointed out "Check the left side skirt near the post" Well at lease that is where my ET64 is marked .

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks Andy I appreciate the info! I never thought about natural white mud. As for the manufacturers and size mark I’ve looked in all kinds of like and at every angle and can’t find a thing. Only green paint and surface rust!!

Mmm, might have been lightly stamped or covered in paint, rust or dirt. Should be roughly where Phil said and where I’ve pointed to in the attached photo. The white chalk on the underside of the front visor does look a lot like white chalk at least in the photos.

Andy

I just looked again and I can’t see anything. I wonder if that’s a thing or if this one is a fluke or as you said just super lightly stamped and with paint over it making the mark invisible??

I did find this in the inner crown. Looks like a 1 to me. Would this just be a lot number for the steel sheet it was made from?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 Stahlhelm shell questions.  

MAP
    ?

Yes, that '1" would be part of a series of numbers denoting the lot of steel used. Typically preceded by a letter to denote the supplier of the steel.

Nice looking shell btw.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I measured around the outside and it’s 68cm. So thanks for that Andy. MAP, I couldn’t find any letter before the 1 or any other numbers after.
    Once again thanks for the comments and help from everyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast