Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.

Article about: So I bought this M16 Battle of the somme Relic that was found in a barn france(authulie). The helmet is really solid expect for a small crack or dent/battle damage on the right side of the s

Default M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.

M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.So I bought this M16 Battle of the somme Relic that was found in a barn france(authulie). The helmet is really solid expect for a small crack or dent/battle damage on the right side of the shell. it even looks like there are small pices of leather in the metall liner. My questions are the following, is the paint original?, Is the damage on the side from shrapnel?. and is it worth putting in new leather in the liner?.

M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.
    Last edited by Kaikun2001; 06-22-2021 at 06:25 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.
    P
    Many

Forgot to mention it is a Si66

MAP
    ?

Looks like a nice shell. Damage is coming from the inside out. So either the helmet was not being worn when hit or it entered just under the front brim before hitting the rear flare. But all speculation. Hard to say for sure if it was from a bullet or shrapnel.

I would leave it as is. Adding a liner will cost money and do nothing to improve the collector value.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for the information. I was thinking of buying real used leatherpads from WW1, but I will leave it as is then, I am very Happy with this Shell, since its my first original shell with paint left(or so I think).

Best regards Kai

MAP
    ?

You can certainly add original pads. They probably won't be cheap and finding ones in matching condition may be difficult plus it might require the removal of the liner band.

It's just my view, but as it will always be a restoration, and not original to the helmet, I tend to leave them as found.

Just a technical point. This is an M16 with steel liner band. While collectors often use the term M17 to denote the steel liner band and M16 to denote the leather liner band. There actually was never an official M17 designation. The only M17 is actually the Austrian produced helmets.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice helmet with original paint. Battle damage tells a perhaps gruesome story. I would leave it as it is.

Great addition to your collection.

Cheers Paul

Default Better pictures.

Quote by MAP View Post
    You can certainly add original pads. They probably won't be cheap and finding ones in matching condition may be difficult plus it might require the removal of the liner band.

It's just my view, but as it will always be a restoration, and not original to the helmet, I tend to leave them as found.

Just a technical point. This is an M16 with steel liner band. While collectors often use the term M17 to denote the steel liner band and M16 to denote the leather liner band. There actually was never an official M17 designation. The only M17 is actually the Austrian produced helmets.
    Thank you for this info, I did not know that the German M17 did not exist, Down below are some better pictures in more ideal light.

cheers Kai

M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Kaikun2001 View Post
    Thank you for this info, I did not know that the German M17 did not exist, Down below are some better pictures in more ideal light.

cheers Kai
    Well they did exist ...they just didn't call them M17's.

A nice original Si 66. This one was manufactured by Eisenhuette Silesia, Paruschowitz Oberschlesien, and is not as often seen as some of other manufacturers.

Are there any letters inside the dome?

Personally, I would leave it as you found it. Looks fine like this and to alter it will change its history and collectibility.

Andy

Sadly no heating number in the dome,the surface rust as taken over the dome. Maybe it could be seen if you tried removing the rust. But since it looks good as it is I wont try to touch the dome. Do you think the shrapnel damage will effect the collectability in a postive light or negative?

Kai

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast