Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M18 Ear cutout. Is it the real deal?

Article about: Found this M18 cutout ok eBay for a okay price. The seller does not know if its real for fake also he till me that the helmet is unmarked but its possible that a stamp number present under t

Default M18 Ear cutout. Is it the real deal?

Found this M18 cutout ok eBay for a okay price. The seller does not know if its real for fake also he till me that the helmet is unmarked but its possible that a stamp number present under the corosion. Any thoughts? M18 Ear cutout. Is it the real deal? M18 Ear cutout. Is it the real deal?M18 Ear cutout. Is it the real deal?M18 Ear cutout. Is it the real deal?M18 Ear cutout. Is it the real deal?M18 Ear cutout. Is it the real deal?M18 Ear cutout. Is it the real deal?M18 Ear cutout. Is it the real deal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 Ear cutout. Is it the real deal?
    P
    Many

These photos are not sufficient to 100% authenticate. Not liking the overall look based on these photos. The liner band looks like replacement just to start with.

Need to see frontal photos, side profile photos and the manufacturers stamp in order to authenticate. Does not look corroded enough for the stamp to be fully obliterated.

What is the price being asked?

Definitely NOT a real ear cut out. Of that I am certain . Jim G.

MAP
    ?

Agree with Andy. From what I can see it does not have the proper flair on the sides so I don't like it so far.

Look at Jim's post #4 in this link and you will see the type of photos we need.

German ear-cut-out helmet: Original or fake?

Edit: Well Mr. ECO himself appears to have beaten me to the punch by 2 min (It took me a while to find this thread...that's my story!)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I know it was a long shot, the seller was only asking 200 pounds. I agree that liner looks tampered with, since tecinally it was being advertised as a WW1/WW2. I will ask for more frontal pictures of the Bell. I know how a chinese repro looks like, but this one(if its a replica) looks quite diffrent, maybe a early replica from the 60/70s?.

The seller has positioned the helmet to distort the proportions to aid the disguise, but not good enough to fool the helmet boys.

Were these faked in the 1960s, 1970s?

He is also selling a M18 helmet, but that one looks really clean and authentic. With all stamps present.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    The seller has positioned the helmet to distort the proportions to aid the disguise, but not good enough to fool the helmet boys.
    Agree Anderson. He obviously knew what more experienced collectors would be looking for.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Were these faked in the 1960s, 1970s?

I know some of the fakes are original shells that have been re-worked but hard to say when that type of fake started being made and in what numbers. I feel that 60’s - 70’s might be about right due to the increase in value/ collectability of militaria around that time, but would love to hear from some experienced helmet collectors.

I have read that there is also a measurement that can be taken between certain points which will help distinguish real from fake on top of the regular visual check of the shell and manufacturers stamp.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast