Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M18 Si62, does it look right?

Article about: Found this M18 that I am looking to buy. I am almost certain that the leather has been changed. But I am however not 100% sure about the helmet. The outside paint looks more of brownish colo

Default M18 Si62, does it look right?

Found this M18 that I am looking to buy. I am almost certain that the leather has been changed. But I am however not 100% sure about the helmet. The outside paint looks more of brownish colour like the one used by K.U.K truppe(Austrian). But maybe the colour varied from time to time. However inside the helmet it looks more period for WW1 with a more green correct colour. The helmet also appears to have a domestap with something along the lines of B1. Which would be right for the Silesia made shells, any help or input would be great.

M18 Si62, does it look right?M18 Si62, does it look right?
    M18 Si62, does it look right?M18 Si62, does it look right?M18 Si62, does it look right?
    Last edited by Kaikun2001; 07-21-2021 at 10:01 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 Si62, does it look right?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I don't claim to be near an expert on WW1 helmets, but this one has me scratching my head.

The difference in paint colors is confusing. Maybe others have seen this. I would also like to see the underside of the liner.

Let's wait for others....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I 100 % agree, I was told the linerpads has horsehair, and the liner is a steelband with the same green as inside the helmet.

I believe the liner and strap to be replacements. I have never seen an original WW1 helmet issued with liner pads like these. The chinstrap also looks like some type reproduction and not WW1. I have a similar reproduction strap that came with an original M16 shell. I would expect this helmet to have been issued with an M18 chinstrap. I would also expect chrome tanned or off white liner pads which started to be used later in 1917 as can generally be found in most M18 helmets.

The paint appears to have some age and patina to it, but is hard to judge from these images which are blurred somewhat when expanded. Personally, I would want to see some outside low light hi res images before persuing this helmet, aside from the issues with the liner and strap.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyM35; 07-23-2021 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Typo. Need glasses......badly

Andy is right, it has been refurbrished, probably by one of the online outfits that offers this service. The off-color could be the lighting, but it could also be due to the ignorance of the guy who sprayed it. It is still a nice looking helmet though not original and maybe not exactly correct.

?

The outside color is close to an M18 I have. My helmet at one time had a coat of surface rust that was cleaned off and gave the helmet a brownish tone. Liner is not the issued type.

Quote by aicusv View Post
    The outside color is close to an M18 I have. My helmet at one time had a coat of surface rust that was cleaned off and gave the helmet a brownish tone. Liner is not the issued type.
    Nothing too wrong with the colour as there was a variety of shades between manufacturers and the colours changed with age and handling. It’s just that the image are poor.

Liner and strap are not original.

I agree with Andy, the paint looks good, linerpads and chinstraps are bad.

I do however think that the linerband may be real, but only better pics could proove or dismiss that. I think it may be OG, because the age and residue on the outside of the split pins looks good and what i can see of the Linerband inside matches the rest of the helmet too.

Regards,
    Adravor

Quote by Adravor View Post
    I agree with Andy, the paint looks good, linerpads and chinstraps are bad.

I do however think that the linerband may be real, but only better pics could proove or dismiss that. I think it may be OG, because the age and residue on the outside of the split pins looks good and what i can see of the Linerband inside matches the rest of the helmet too.

Regards,
    Adravor
    The pads can easily be slipped between the shell and the band. You can see how loose some appear. Often this is how liners are change/added in TR lids. The pins and band do not have to be moved at all.

Thats what i meant, but when you say "the liner is fake" it implies all of it is fake, not just the pads. But it seems we both meant that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast