Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

mask elephant ww1

Article about: Hello everybody, here is an interesting mask, what do you think the mask is good? Elefant Maske 1wk helm helmet sniper elephant mask ww1 stirnpanzer grabenpanzer | eBay

?

Default mask elephant ww1

Hello everybody,

here is an interesting mask, what do you think the mask is good?

Elefant Maske 1wk helm helmet sniper elephant mask ww1 stirnpanzer grabenpanzer | eBay

Hi Brusik,

This is a hard one. It looks good at first side. These masks were introduces in 1915 and it's believed that no more than 1500 examples were made.

But..... I see when I compare this mask with the mask a presented in Michael Balwins "Feldzug 1915" that the studs are not as sharp as his example. Also the eye slits.

"The eye slits should be punched out from the rear by means of a mechanical chisel the tapered to the front cutting edge. The front of the eye slits measure approximately 2 mm high, the right one as worn has a length of 13,5 mm and the left is slightly longer at 15 mm, the rear of both slits are obviously wider. When the shield is viewed from the front, bulges can be seen around the eye slits that were caused by the punching process forming the the apertures"

(Michael Balwins "Feldzug 1915")

The same source states that the weight should be 5,75 kg and the thickness of the steel sheet should be 8,5 mm.

The slits are, in my humble opinion, not as they should be according to the manufacturing process. But much is unsure as they were not mass produced and variations are possible.

I hope that this is helpful. I hope also that others can shine their light on the matter. But for this kind of money move carefully. I told it before, invests in good books, I warmly recommend Michael Balwins "Feldzug" series. It saves a lot of money in the end.

Cheers Paul

I saw that the seller on E-bay has no return policy. That is the red flag.

Cheers Paul

I checked out the history of this seller. He sells a lot of very rare items. Mainly different kinds of WW1 facial armor. Also is this seller a good customer of metal shops. Looks like an enthousiast replica maker!

I would pass.

Cheers Paul

Too easily faked to take the risk at that kind of money.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Too easily faked to take the risk at that kind of money.
    I agree and whether it is relevant I don't know but the bloke in the "action photo" seems to be lying on flat even grassed ground with not the slightest concealment, is dressed very cleanly for the WWI battlefield in what might be a kilt or shorts and has shiny shoes. He is also using what appears to be an Enfield rifle.

I admit that none of these factors go against the authenticity (or otherwise) of this item but surely the idea of such an image of the item in use is to demonstrate actual service in the field. Of course this might be an image of captured gear being evaluated but in that case it does nothing to enhance the sales potential as it is.

For my money, if you take the dodgy photograph together with the points already stated and the price I don't think I would even be considering this. Too many minus points for me!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi Mark,

The photo is taken with an Real mask take as loot by the Canadian army. It was tested and documented. This photo is of the same mask, I believe.

mask  elephant ww1

Cheers Paul

Quote by Irish1965 View Post
    Hi Mark,

The photo is taken with an Real mask take as loot by the Canadian army. It was tested and documented. This photo is of the same mask, I believe.

Cheers Paul
    Thanks for that Paul. I still claim points for my photographic interpretation skills though

Knowing that fact still wouldn't persuade with this piece unless it comes with cast iron (see what I did there?) provenance

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

No iron casting with this mask. They were pressed under very high pressure out of sheet metal.

Paul

?

Brusik, could you please post the pics and not post links to Ebay items, they expire and make this thread useless in the future to others that may be conducting research. G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mask  elephant ww1  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast