Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My M16 SH60 Stahlhelm has interesting artwork inside?

Article about: Hello again from New Zealand. I thought I would share a helmet I picked up a few years ago here in NZ. WW1 helmets don't grow on trees in this part of the world but do occasionally turn up.

Default My M16 SH60 Stahlhelm has interesting artwork inside?

Hello again from New Zealand.

I thought I would share a helmet I picked up a few years ago here in NZ.
    WW1 helmets don't grow on trees in this part of the world but do occasionally turn up, not that I have seen any for some time.

By word of mouth I was offered a look at some ww1 items this guy had in the basement of his mothers old house.
    Even though it was a two hour drive I couldn't say no to seeing what stuff he was wanting to clear out.
    Among other stuff the old chap had three German helmets all sitting on a bed in a back room ready for inspection.
    Once I managed to control my nervous excitement I gave the three helmets a good going over.
    I was a bit new to the Stahlhelm club and only had one other of my own ( an original paint Q66 M16 ) to compare it with, though I had done a little reading on what to look for.
    Makers mark and size, and the heat number stamped in the under side of the crown bla bla bla.
    This one, although it was a bit small had a really nice colour and patina and no obvious damage.
    Seemed honest enough for me at the time.
    I could see the heat stamp and could see the maker mark to the side but had absolutely no idea who or what it was.

The other two helmets were ok too, just a bit played with and looked like some paint had been added at some stage later in life.
    But that was just my opinion.

After some time picking them all up and placing them back on the bed again and again, scratching my head a bit i had to make a call.
    So picked up the small one, shook hands and that was that. Time to drive home and come up with a story to tell the wife why I had been gone half the day.

(She's a high school history teacher but still think's I'm crazy)

It wasn't until the next day at home I thought I would do some research, but got totally sidetracked remembering I had seen this interesting youtube video by a dealer called "Regimentals"
    It was a beginners run through of the evolution of the German Stahlhelm.
    I thought Wow I have to watch this while I have control of the TV from the kids...
    I'm sure some of you would have seen it.

So as I'm sitting there watching him pick up helmets (This is the Square Dip,,,,,,) the next thing he says is "the next pre mass production helmet is the SH60"
    At that point I almost fell off the couch! and then ran off to inspect the helmet stamp.
    It suddenly became a whole lot more exciting realizing I had unknowingly selected the same helmet.

So that's the background story, sorry if I went on a bit.

I understand they only made the one size? is that correct?
    How common are to they to other collectors? Are they any more interesting?
    Being such a small size would that have had an effect their survival?

Now !
    One thing I did later notice was 3 faint painted stars (*) on the underside of the crown under the liner tongues.
    Could this be anything other than just some kind of personalization???
    They are about 50mm in size and not that easy to photograph.
    You should be able to just make one out in the last photo.

Sorry some photo's are not the best and the colours only show correctly on the close ups.
    Its not as dark to the eye as it looks on the dummy head, more of an apple green.....just bad lighting.

Thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.
    Feedback is how I learn.

Cheers
    Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My M16 SH60 Stahlhelm has interesting artwork inside?   My M16 SH60 Stahlhelm has interesting artwork inside?  

My M16 SH60 Stahlhelm has interesting artwork inside?   My M16 SH60 Stahlhelm has interesting artwork inside?  

My M16 SH60 Stahlhelm has interesting artwork inside?   My M16 SH60 Stahlhelm has interesting artwork inside?  

My M16 SH60 Stahlhelm has interesting artwork inside?  
    Last edited by Coreynewzealand; 11-02-2020 at 12:31 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My M16 SH60 Stahlhelm has interesting artwork inside?
    P
    Many

Thats a very nice example, and thanks for showing.

Cheers,
    Steve

Congratulations Corey. That’s a great Siemens and Halske pre-mass production helmet. These are quite scarce and from a lesser known manufacturer. You are correct, these were only made in a size 60 and came before the standard M16 helmet.

One of the distinguishing features of these shells is the steep drop in the transition from the front to rear visors. Not as steep as the Square Dip, but still notably different. Would be interested to see a photo of the stars if you are able to photograph them without having to move the liner around too much.

Again, well done, and I enjoyed the story
    Andy

That's a great helmet and nice story too - i love these size 60 WW1 helmets with the huge lugs.
    Well done.
    nick

?

nice!!

MAP
    ?

Fantastic helmet. Nice pickup.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nick, the vents look extra big on this example due to it being the smallest size shell. The vents have an extra deep step to accomodate the stirnpanzer which was only made in the one size.

?

That’s a sweet little helmet, a tough find, especially in such nice original condition.

FWIW - I’ve driven that far on multiple occasions when a chance to acquire original period items presents itself. Don’t worry, the wife will never completely understand. But as long as she is accepting of your collecting passion, you are all set.

?

Pretty nice find. A beautiful SH60 steel helmet, in great condition and a awesome story. Every collector dreams of such chance finds. Congratulations.

Best regards
    Wolf

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yes the profile is insanely different when side by side with my Q66.

Cheers
    Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My M16 SH60 Stahlhelm has interesting artwork inside?   My M16 SH60 Stahlhelm has interesting artwork inside?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast