Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My SOS Pickup: a 1917 dated 1898/05 "Butcher Blade" bayonet

Article about: I just came back from the SOS show and had a blast. I had the honor of meeting wrf member winterhilfswerk Book "Chrys" thank you again for the ribbon!, Dave from ww2germanhelmets.c

?

Default Re: My SOS Pickup: a 1917 dated 1898/05 "Butcher Blade" bayonet

Nice bayonet. I have always liked butcher bayonets.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My SOS Pickup: a 1917 dated 1898/05 "Butcher Blade" bayonet
    P
    Many

?

Thanks!

?

I had a quick question, since they were only made for a year is this a uncommon/rare maker?
    Ryan

?

Not particularly rare, as a matter of fact, fairly common. Fichtel and Sachs made the Sg98/05nA bayonet like yours for the Kingdom of Bavaria for 4 years, in 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918. They are commonly seen but not always in as nice condition as yours.

F & S also made the Sg98/05mS (sawback version) in 1916 and 1917.

All the above information comes from Anthony Carter's German Bayonets - The Models 98/02 and 98/05 published in 1984, the first of his 4 volume work on German bayonets.

rbemer207, congratulations on the purchase, well worth the price.

Nice find Ryan congrats!! It seems like they might of not had a long production run as I have seen other examples exactly like yours. Looking in my German Cutlery reference,, I find it interesting that there is no logo present,, but yours has the cross keys logo of the Friedrich Herder firm notable for SA SS HJ daggers. It may be a possibility, that Fitchel & Sachs might of contracted The Herder Firm to complete their bayonets. Either way a very nice WWI bayonet. Below is a logo used from the Herder firm. Regards Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images My SOS Pickup: a 1917 dated 1898/05 "Butcher Blade" bayonet 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry makes a good point, F & S received blade blanks from Herder that they used to make finished bayonets. By 1918 they were able to make the complete bayonet.

I forgot to add to my first post, the number stamped on the cross guard is not a regimental number, it is an accountability number commonly seen on Bavarian issued bayonets. the accountability number was placed there by a unit armorer and the number was placed in the soldier's record, he was responsible to return the bayonet in good order when required.

?

Quote by USNV5 View Post
    Not particularly rare, as a matter of fact, fairly common. Fichtel and Sachs made the Sg98/05nA bayonet like yours for the Kingdom of Bavaria for 4 years, in 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918. They are commonly seen but not always in as nice condition as yours.

F & S also made the Sg98/05mS (sawback version) in 1916 and 1917.

All the above information comes from Anthony Carter's German Bayonets - The Models 98/02 and 98/05 published in 1984, the first of his 4 volume work on German bayonets.

rbemer207, congratulations on the purchase, well worth the price.
    Quote by Larry C View Post
    Nice find Ryan congrats!! It seems like they might of not had a long production run as I have seen other examples exactly like yours. Looking in my German Cutlery reference,, I find it interesting that there is no logo present,, but yours has the cross keys logo of the Friedrich Herder firm notable for SA SS HJ daggers. It may be a possibility, that Fitchel & Sachs might of contracted The Herder Firm to complete their bayonets. Either way I very nice WWI bayonet. Below is a logo used from the Herder firm. Regards Larry
    Thank you guys so much for the info! I have found a frog, thanks to Volksjeger. I am so glad i did well on this bayonet, i was just about to leave the sos empty handed until right as i started walking i found this hanging on a peg board. After a little bargaining i got him down and purchased it! Next step are the two wwi ammo pouches.
    Thanks
    Ryan

It was nice to meet you too Ryan...and very random how it happened!

Congrats on your new addition...you did well!

Chrys

Congrats. Wish I could have gone.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

The most random thing ever lol! Nice to meet you!
    Thanks
    Ryan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2