Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mystery German Imperial Lockbox

Article about: Hello! This is my latest find. I’ve never seen anything like it before and had to pick it up. I found it at a antique store while on vacation. The key that came with the box does work the

Default Mystery German Imperial Lockbox

Hello!

This is my latest find. I’ve never seen anything like it before and had to pick it up. I found it at a antique store while on vacation.
    The key that came with the box does work the locking bar on the bottom of the box, it looks like it locked to another box of some kind. I am not able to open the main part with the key provided.

Would there may have been a second key to open the main compartment?

An ideas what this would have been part of?

Thanks for looking. Any input is appreciated!

Here is the top of the key

MAP
    ?

Looks like some sort of cash box.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Agree with Michael.
    Have you tried putting some instant lubricating oil on the lock? That usually makes almost any key work no matter how rusty the mechanism is.

My feeling is that it was a domestic "trench art" type piece from a veteran, or perhaps commissioned from some craftsman, to store memorabilia or valuables in his home.

The painted motif is clearly taken from one of the so-called "patriotika" post cards.

On the other hand, the key seems to be the right one....

Regards
    Santi

I agree, not an official piece but something patriotic to store medals and the like. Pretty cool item.

MAP
    ?

A very cool piece btw...forgot to mention that.

A lock smith should be able to pick that lock. Did you shake it? Anything rattling around inside??? ROFL! Maybe a box full of Pour Le Merits?

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks guys!

I was shining a flashlight into one of the bottom holes and looking through the other one. When the box is completely locked, the top and the bottom bars, I can see the pins that engages the key. After one full clockwise rotation of the key, the bottom bar slides out of the way.
    The pins then change, I can’t tell if it’s a new set or the same set in a different configuration.

I’m still on vacation and don’t have tools to try to lift the locking bar up, so it can be unlocked.

I’ve shaken the box. I don’t hear anything inside.

Ill post photos when I get it open.

Thanks

MAP
    ?

Quote by iambakerboy View Post
    Thanks guys!

I was shining a flashlight into one of the bottom holes and looking through the other one. When the box is completely locked, the top and the bottom bars, I can see the pins that engages the key. After one full clockwise rotation of the key, the bottom bar slides out of the way.
    The pins then change, I can’t tell if it’s a new set or the same set in a different configuration.

I’m still on vacation and don’t have tools to try to lift the locking bar up, so it can be unlocked.

I’ve shaken the box. I don’t hear anything inside.

Ill post photos when I get it open.

Thanks
    No noise? Then probably stuffed with cash with no room for movement

Lol I hope!

Stack of cash or long lost documents. One can only hope.

MAP
    ?

Quote by iambakerboy View Post
    Lol I hope!

Stack of cash or long lost documents. One can only hope.
    Just hope it's not German 1920's Depression era Hyper Inflation currency. Might have a billion Marks face value but worth only a few cents!!!! LoL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast