MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Mystery photo

Article about: I found these photos in my deceased grandmother's photo album. I am not sure of who she knew in the photo. A little history on her family. Her mother and father both immigrated to the US fro

AnneF
    ?

Default Mystery photo

I found these photos in my deceased grandmother's photo album. I am not sure of who she knew in the photo.

A little history on her family. Her mother and father both immigrated to the US from Zuromin Poland in the early 1890s before they were married. Most of their immediate family immigrated as well. Zuromin was in the Russian partition of Poland of that time, but these photos don't look Russian to me. Her grandfather never immigrated, and was a Captain in the military, presumably the Russian army. (I have posted his photos in the Imperial Russian/PreWWI part if this forum).

Perhaps this was of a cousin or friend of the family.

Can anyone provide any light on these photos? I am estimating them to be of WWI era, but I am not sure. The helmets look Prussian/German to me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery photo  

Default Re: Mystery photo

german.

Default Re: Mystery photo

Anne, Zuromin is a Polish city you can find on the map between the german territory of East Prussia and Silesia. Not far away is Olsztyn the former city of Allenstein which has had a very large german population those days. It was not unusual those days that members of one family at the same time served in two different armies. Maybe Zuromin either had a large german population so parts of your family might be of german origin?