Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Naval stein

Article about: Found this naval stein today, but I can’t decide if it dates to WW1, or earlier. Mentions service in the north, West Indies and Mediterranean and has an image of U-1 and a Zeppelin, among

Default Naval stein

Found this naval stein today, but I can’t decide if it dates to WW1, or earlier. Mentions service in the north, West Indies and Mediterranean and has an image of U-1 and a Zeppelin, among other things. Not in the greatest condition, with the owner’s name unfortunately worn away, but I still like it:

Naval stein
    Naval stein
    Naval stein
    Naval stein

Halibag; The Stein represents the pre-war period, 1888-1913. The warship depicted in your post is probably one of four school ships on which the officer candidates at the officers’ school at Mürwik in Flensburg made their second-year cruise. Those four ships were SMS Herta, SMS Freya, SMS Hansa and SMS Vineta. All four had a modified ram bow and two masts that still carried yards. The uniforms depicted on the Stein are the type worn by officer candidates while they were at Mürwik.
    I would like to see more pictures of the Stein, preferably 3600 around. Another dating clue is you reference to the U-1 that was also used as a training boat, SMS U-1 was commissioned in December 1912 and following her shake-down cruise, se was assigned to the U-Boat school where she remained until 19 February 1919 before going to the Deutsche Museum in München. Below are photos of SMS Herta and SMS Vineta Dwight

Naval stein

Naval stein

Thank you, drmessimer. Here are a few more photos of the lid:

Naval stein
    Naval stein
    Naval stein
    Naval stein
    Naval stein

MAP
    ?

A wonderful stein. I only have a few and really just started collecting them but I think they are great. This is the first Navy example I've seen.

It looks quite large compared to the typical Army versions. I assume given the makers mark on the bottom it doesn't have a Lithophane?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

No, no lithopane (unfortunately).

Hallibag; The extra photos change things a bit. The Stein was made very early in WWI. Torpedo-boat S118 was lost on 17 October 1914 in the Helgoland Bight. The 1914 cruise was at sea when the war started and returned to Germany by the so-called "North About" route that went up Britain's west coast and around Scotland. I wrote a book about one of the class members who made that shortened cruise, Eleven Months to Freedom. Dwight

MAP
    ?

Great information Dwight.

If my understanding is correct, the production of these kind of stopped during the war. If so, it would make this one quite interesting.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

More photos:

Naval stein
    Naval stein
    Naval stein
    Naval stein
    Naval stein
    Naval stein

These last two photos ice the cake; it was an early recall because the war had started. There were no further school cruises during the war. I would think that the circumstances would substantially increase the value of the Stein. Dwight

MAP
    ?

I would agree Dwight. Certainly makes this one special.

Again, a wonderful stein. Too bad the name is unreadable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast