Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some help (Weitze militaria)

Article about: Hello everyone, i'm really new into this hobby, I just purchased my first two EK2 (1914 & 1939). I'm interested in finding a good European dealer, i've been looking at Weitze militaria,

?

Default Need some help (Weitze militaria)

Hello everyone, i'm really new into this hobby, I just purchased my first two EK2 (1914 & 1939). I'm interested in finding a good European dealer, i've been looking at Weitze militaria, and from what i could see, people are fairly divided in their opinions of it.

Here is my doubt tho, people say his prices are expensive, but from what I saw they are very cheap in some stuff (so cheap it makes me doubt the authenticity). For example the "Next-Of-Kin Cross Of Honor 1914-1918", in Weitze Militaria can be found for 20 Euros https://www.weitze.com/militaria/34/Ehrenkreuz_fuer_Witwen_und_Waisen_1914_18__289434. html

and in for example Military Antiques Stockholm it's listed as 55 Euros (I see it includes the miniature but does the miniature really cost 35€?) http://www.military-antiques-stockholm.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_30_40&products_id=3505

Another doubt from someone who is just starting, how can real medals from 80 years ago be sold for so cheap as 10 euros?

Thank you everyone, again, sorry for my ignorance.

Please do not just post links, save the photos and upload them directly to the forum.
    This thread will explain how to upload them.
    Visual Guide to Upload Photos
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Another example of price disparity is the Hindenburg Cross For Combatant (14-18), in Weitze, he's selling for 10€ (https://www.weitze.com/militaria/39/...8__288239.html)

And in Espenlaub they are selling for 35€ (Hindenburg cross. Commemorative cross 1914-1918 for combatant- Medals & Orders).

Is the Weitze one fake? or i'm I just not understanding the reason behind the price disparity?

Thank you again

- - ------- - -

Thank you Ralph, sorry for my second reply

Hi, welcome to the forum and collecting community! On the specific matter of Weitze, he does get some very nice items, but he also sells huge levels of fake trash. A man with his years of experience really should not be making these "mistakes"?? So study the items you are interested in, use the search function here on the forum and find other genuine examples to compare with. You will find good items from Weitze, but search carefully. As for values, some medals were produced in their millions and many still exist, age does not directly relate to rarity or collectability, some ancient antiquities can be picked up for a few pounds as they pour out of the ground like water!
    Learn, collect and enjoy, you will get burnt from time to time, we all have, but don't let that put you off!
    If you want to see a good European dealer, take a look at Mario's site ( HISCOLL MILITARY ANTIQUES ) , he really is very good IMO.
    All the best, Leon.

?

The first one is from Weitze and is being sold for 20€
    and the second one is on Military Antiques Stocholm and is being sold (with a miniature) for 55€

-----

Thank you very much Leon, i'll keep your advice close by, and i'll be looking at the dealer you told me

?

Dealer prices do vary and this is normal. Every dealer asks his own price and maybe this has to with what he paid for the item and how much profit he wants to get out of it. Regarding the photo's posted by you, €20 is a very good price and I have no problems with this one being offered by Weitze.
    I myself paid €25 and I consider this a good price. I also believe it is normal that the price for a set including a miniature to be higher. I think it has to do with the fact that their are less miniatures then the normal medal itself.

I hope this helps a little and also some research is key and contact with other collectors will do you good. Buying from other collectors is also a plus for me, so you can consider this too.

Regards, Rik

?

Ah, right, never thought of that, Thank you, Rik! All the help is welcome.

Weitze is not a bad guy, he does as Leon said sell some really poor fakes which dealers should pick up on. However, part of collecting is knowing what is real and fake and some research should help you tell if what a dealer has is kosher or not.
    In regards to the Hindenburg Cross that you posted these medals where made past the conclusion of ww1 into the 20s and 30s, and again as the guys have said millions of these where made and can be found easily in mint and un-issued condition. So in conclusion shop the dealers you like but check around for price and know what you are looking at so you do not get stung

?

Thank you Morris!

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    In regards to the Hindenburg Cross that you posted these medals where made past the conclusion of ww1 into the 20s and 30s, and again as the guys have said millions of these where made and can be found easily in mint and un-issued condition.
    Allow me a small correction: This decoration was only instituted in 1934.

Otherwise, what has been said in the above posts. A total of more than 8 million of the three categories of the 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz were awarded (out of these, more than 6 million were the combatants' cross), with the actual number of manufactured pieces much higher.

This is a very common decoration indeed, which is reflected in its selling price.

Readily available, low-priced and rarely faked (although some repros do exist), this decoration is also a good starting point for a beginning collector.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast