Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

One of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1 not in my collection yet!! LOL

Article about: Here is a one of a kind Aircraft from WW1, it is a low level bomber, the JU1. This is not yet on display, but as I have donated many items to help restore other Aircraft, I get private tours

?

Default One of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1 not in my collection yet!! LOL

One of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1  not in my collection  yet!!  LOLHere is a one of a kind Aircraft from WW1, it is a low level bomber, the JU1. This is not yet on display, but as I have donated many items to help restore other Aircraft, I get private tours. The aircrafts engine has angled armour around it.
    At this time they think they will display it, and ( as I also agree as it looks so good this way) they do not intend to restore it.
    This is in the Aviation Museum in Ottawa Canada..part of our National Collection, it sat in boxes for decades, until a new crew of restorers put it together.
    I will be there again next weekend and hope to get better photos, however the area is a bit tight and the light low.

Just goes to show you that if you do donate to a good cause, you get into places no one else can!!!
    The Parts I have donated and will donate more for, is the rebuild of a Beaufighter..not my fav. but a good cause

Dean O.
    Ajax CanadaOne of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1  not in my collection  yet!!  LOLOne of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1  not in my collection  yet!!  LOLOne of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1  not in my collection  yet!!  LOLOne of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1  not in my collection  yet!!  LOLOne of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1  not in my collection  yet!!  LOLOne of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1  not in my collection  yet!!  LOL

Here's some more pic's of the only surviving Junkers J.I (manufacturer's designation J 4; not to be confused with the earlier J 1 all-metal monoplane of 1915/16) in the Ottawa museum. Note the 5mm armoured 'bathtub' that goes from the engine to the rear of the crew compartment. This weighed around half a tonne, and probably helped ensure that not one of the 250 odd aircraft built was ever lost to enemy action. The aircraft was also unique in that it's control surfaces were operated by steel pushrods rather than cables. This enabled the aircraft to be quickly disassembled for transport by road or rail, and could be reassembled in as little as 4-6 hours. An amazing piece of kit for it's time.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture One of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1  not in my collection  yet!!  LOL   One of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1  not in my collection  yet!!  LOL  

One of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1  not in my collection  yet!!  LOL   One of a Kind!! Junkers JU1 WW1  not in my collection  yet!!  LOL  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.