Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube?

Article about: Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube Hi, nice looking Pickelhaube for sale & I thought best to post it here for opinion on originality. The chinstrap & the cockades l

Default Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube?

Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube
    Hi, nice looking Pickelhaube for sale & I thought best to post it here for opinion on originality. The chinstrap & the cockades look like they’re newer to me. Any opinions greatly appreciated. Kind Regards, Alexander.Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube?Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube?Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube?Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube?Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube?Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube?Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube?Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube?Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this an original WWI Other Ranks 1895 Pickelhaube?
    P
    Many

I think that you are correct in your opinion. The helmet looks good to me but the
    cockades look to have been repainted and the chinstrap looks to be a new replacement
    that's been aged. IMO

The shell and brass look original to my inexperienced eyes.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Agree with Greg, looks good. As always, good clear photos really help but overall looks like an original haube. Chinstrap and cockades do show a different amount of ware and patina so may have been replaced or touched up. Not unusual on pieces like this that have seen a lot of action and abuse over the years. Looks like a small one as the cockades look huge! Must have been a warm day, all of the vents are open. Overall, a nice representative example.

Andy

?

Sadly, over the course of 100+ years, somebody won’t be able to resist a little ‘restoration/tinkering’, on an item that is so easy to take apart..
    Perhaps, in time, you could ‘de-restore’ it, with a crusty original chinstrap and suitably worn cockades.. but, all in all, as Greg and Andy point out, a very nice example.

?

nice!

It's a good example, and as previously said, the cockades tend to get lost and replaced over the years. A nice addition to anyone's collection. If you go ahead with the purchase, make sure you display it on a stand. Standing it on both peaks will do no good to that 100+ years of stitching.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Does the depot stamp show IR 170? If so, the wappen is incorrect & should be that of Baden, not Prussia.
    9.Badisches Inf.-Regt. Nr.170 was raised in 1897. garrison Offenburg, III battalion at Donaueschingen.

BobS

?

I agree with all that has already been said. A photo of the front go the helmet without the plate would be interesting. As IR 170 was a Baden regiment.

So as is the case with a lot of these we’re looking at a lot of parts that have been swapped out.

It looks likely that the Wappen Plate, cockades & the chinstrap are all replacements.

I’ve got to weigh up everything. It is a very small Pickelhaube, makes it even easier to display. I can forgive the inconsistencies, as a small time collector they won’t bother me too much so I’d be happy to keep it as is, the only change that I feel would benefit it enough would be an original period chinstrap.

The price is €550 plus €30 in postage. That’s €100 more than one I posted here a few weeks ago that sold quite quickly.

The seller of this one has been waiting out to get more though, so I will have to act quickly if I’m to get it. Seems like a good deal to me on balance.

?

Overpriced, IMHO, especially with an incorrect wappen & cockade.
    As it's stamped to a Baden regiment, any discerning collector will be loathe to pay full price for this haube if you ever want to sell it.

BobS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast