MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

paint removal ?

Article about: I don't usually advocate restoring or buffing or changing items but this one needs some help. I found this 1914 Prussian S98/05 bayo, made by Weyersberg & Kirschbaum at a flea market las

Default paint removal ?

I don't usually advocate restoring or buffing or changing items
    but this one needs some help.

I found this 1914 Prussian S98/05 bayo, made by Weyersberg & Kirschbaum at a flea market
    last week for $15 and really don't want it to have a red handle.

any thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture paint removal ?  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement paint removal ?
    P
    Many

Mhhm, acetone does a good job usually, but i dont know if it would maybe affect the wood

?

For even the newest DIY’er, CITRISTRIP® is the effective brand of removers that has a fresh citrus scent. Use CITRISTRIP® to remove multiple layers of dried latex and oil-based paint, varnish, lacquer, polyurethane and shellac from wood, metal and masonry surfaces. Removes five layers of dried latex paint in under one hour.

I have used this to restore Oak trim in houses before, It has never ruined the wood and looks great after using the product, Good luck Greg, G
    Attached Images Attached Images paint removal ? 
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Good on you Greg! This one really does need some love and I think you may end up with a nice bayo when its done. Keep us posted!

Andy

MAP
    ?

Not bad for $15! Definitely want to see "after" photos
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Agree, I’m looking forward to seeing it after stripping the paint away. Lucky bargain.

Quote by Adravor View Post
    Mhhm, acetone does a good job usually, but i dont know if it would maybe affect the wood
    Yes it does depending on the type of paint but over wood I would probably not risk it because as well as drying out the wood it will probably drive some of the red pigment deep into the grain of the wood leaving a permanent stain.

Not sure about the US but in UK the health and safety regulations now mean that domestic paint strippers have been so weakened to stop idiots burning themselves when they don't follow the instructions so whilst you might have to repeat the process the wood should be OK as these products are intended for home decorating uses as well.

Unlike the army issue stuff we used to use on vehicles hardware store products shouldn't burn your lungs if you breathe the fumes

If you successfully get rid of the red the appearance will be enhanced 100% so this really is a case of it being appropriate to remove that kind of "patina" which really isn't part of the true history and is more indicative of post service abuse!

I look forward to seeing what you achieve.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

update-
    The Citristrip works pretty good. I removed the majority of the paint
    last night but there is still a lot to do. I was hoping to find a real "diamond in the rough"
    but it looks just rough. This thing has been used and abused. I'll post pictures as it gets
    farther along.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

try oven cleaner.

Quote by toot View Post
    try oven cleaner.
    I really wouldn't advise that. Some oven cleaners can strip finishes from metal or even dissolve metal itself and should only be used on vitreous enamel surfaces.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-21-2021 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast