Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Pickelhaube Questions

Article about: Hi and thanks for looking. I rescued this poor helmet the other day. Looks like its been in someone's barn for a while but I'm very happy to finally get one. From what I can tell it appears

?

Default Pickelhaube Questions

Hi and thanks for looking. I rescued this poor helmet the other day. Looks like its been in someone's barn for a while but I'm very happy to finally get one. From what I can tell it appears to be a Model 1915, State Unknown. I know people fake these often but from what I've seen it looks authentic. Let me know if something looks off. My questions are: Can you tell what state it came from just by the positioning of the plate holes? The front and rear visor stitching has come apart. Is it worth trying to have it re-stitched and replacing the front visor band? Or should I just leave it alone? I don't have much invested in it but I'm willing to put some money into it.

Thanks Scott

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pickelhaube Questions
    P
    Many

My advice would be to restore it to as close as you can to the original state. so re stitching with appropriate thread will definately improve the look . You cant tell from the lug holes what state badge was on . maybe theres wear on leather shadowing the plates shape that was on ?. Usually its Prussia- but any grey metal coat of arms could be used.
    The helmet looks very restorable as condition isnt bad

Looks definitly like a nice one! Like it. If you want to restore it is your choice, i own one which i still consider to restore, but so far i´m hesitant - as a learning Art Historician i am more a friend of preservation, then restoration.
    Even i would think about adding an equally salty badge though, alone that would make it way more presentable.

Here is mine, a Bavarian one that sat on an attic for 50+ years:
    Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?

?

Thanks for the replies. I'd like to get the visors re-stitched to help hold it's shape. Then get repo cockades and chin strap. Put a repo cover on it and display it that way for now. Then keep my eye on auction and classified sites for any parts that may pop up. I can't see any evidence of shadowing where the plate was. However, I did see where 2 holes have been filled. The current holes are 2" apart and the covered holes are 4" apart. The state plate studs I've seen mostly, if not all, have been 4" apart. Was there a standard length apart? I'll post a picture.

That's a sweet helmet Adravor with an amazing story. Did you ever get with Brian from pickelhaube.com?

Scott

I think 2 inches holes is for a Wappenplate of Bavaria. At least the distance between the studs on my Bavaria plate measure 2,1 inch or 5,5 cm.

Cheers Paul

As for stitching bented / hardened leather.
    I repaired my fur hat which had sheep fur, but leather was broken. So I soaked the hat with 100% water, gives more flexibility to stitch teared leather together
    And it did smell like wet dog on a lap.