Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Pour Le Merite - Wagner

Article about: As a young boy in the early 70's, I obtained a cheap repo of a Pour Le Merite from Unique Imports. Since then, I have always wanted to add one to the collection. I held onto the Repo for 40+

MAP
    ?

Default Pour Le Merite - Wagner

As a young boy in the early 70's, I obtained a cheap repo of a Pour Le Merite from Unique Imports. Since then, I have always wanted to add one to the collection.

I held onto the Repo for 40+ years as a very very long term "placeholder" until such time I could own an original PLM. Today (thanks to next day shipping) was THAT DAY as I was fortunate enough to purchase this one. I would like to thank the prior owner. A class act who helped me immensely

I only had cursory knowledge of these awards having never really studied them in detail. So over the course of 3 days, I immersed myself with whatever info I could find and asking people many silly questions. I still have a ways to go before I even scratch the surface on the complexity of these awards. And some of the information I have noted below might be off.

This example is a WW1 style example (i.e. silver with gold Gilt) made by Wagner. (Prior to WW1 or 1916, they were all gold). My example is of 1920's/30's manufacture as a private purchase replacement or extra copy. This is observable, I have been told, based on the deep cross hatching of the chest feathers (enhanced due to the dies wearing out).

Wagner, I have read, was the official maker of "issued" awards during WW1 by order of the Kaiser. Further except for a very few early examples, all war time "issued" awards had the Baroque suspension ring versus the "pie" shaped style seen on some but not all of the other manufactures. The other war time manufacturers (i.e. Godet, Meyerbeyer, Schickle, S&L, etc.) were private purchase.

The PLM Order ceased to be issued in 1918 with the abdication of the Kaiser. All post WW1 examples are considered private purchase.

Anyway, here are some photos. (including my 1970's copy )

(note: My photos were too large to upload so I had to resize them down. Hope it does not hurt the image quality.)

Pour Le Merite - Wagner

Pour Le Merite - Wagner

Pour Le Merite - Wagner

Pour Le Merite - Wagner

Pour Le Merite - Wagner

Pour Le Merite - Wagner

Pour Le Merite - Wagner

Pour Le Merite - Wagner
    Last edited by MAP; 04-15-2020 at 11:36 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pour Le Merite - Wagner
    P
    Many

It is a childhood dream come true. It is a simply magnificent decoration. Congratulations Michael. By the way your copy of the 70s is cool

MAP
    ?

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    It is a childhood dream come true. It is a simply magnificent decoration. Congratulations Michael. By the way your copy of the 70s is cool
    Thanks. I have wanted 3 things since I was a kid. An excellent condition apple green M35 DD Heer, a Knights Cross and a PLM. The one I never thought I would own is a PLM. Dreams come true.

Now the only thing I need is a Knights Cross (and an original ribbon for the PLM )

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Wow, simply amazing. Excellent pick up. How will you display it?

Great item Michael to say the least! I Saw this on your bucket list for this year, you seem to of had a good year so far with bucket list items. I’m sure it will display excellently. Next up Knights Cross!

MAP
    ?

@Wally - This is where it will reside. At least for now. Waiting for a repo neck ribbon to arrive. Should be enough room. But once I do get a KC...I will need to think of something else.

@Bothi - I forgot I had it on the list! LoL. As far as the KC? You never know! But I'm not counting on finding one or spending that level of $ this year.

Pour Le Merite - Wagner

?

The Blue Max!!!
    Excellent pick up Michael!!
    You have a beautiful example.
    Congrats on filling that childhood dream

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 04-16-2020 at 06:18 AM.

An Award of the highest honor during that time and into the Third Reich.
    I too had one of these Unique Import Blue Maxes.

Congratulations Michael..on an acquisition rare of the rarest in having this award in a collection.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

A very striking award Michael. Looks great displayed with the other imperial ones. Congratulations!
    Andy

MAP
    ?

Phil/Andy/Larry - Thanks!

I just want to say that this is a post WW1 "replacement" award. There is a HUGE price difference between a true war time issued and awarded example and this replacement example. That said, it is a real PLM but just not the one "handed to the guy".

Larry: I will never get rid of my "Unique Imports" example that my Dad purchased for me. 40+ years I've had it. Value = $0. But I would sell this original before I get rid of this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast