Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Pre WW1 Bavarian Uniform

Article about: Hello all, recently picked up this up this Bavarian infantry tunic from the MAX show. I'm not exactly sure how old it is since the stamp is faded, but I'm guessing it's from the 1890s or ear

Default Pre WW1 Bavarian Uniform

Hello all, recently picked up this up this Bavarian infantry tunic from the MAX show. I'm not exactly sure how old it is since the stamp is faded, but I'm guessing it's from the 1890s or early 1900s. The shoulder straps are for the 13th infantry regiment which is named after Franz Josef I, and has shoulder buttons with "8" on them which I'm assuming roughly translates to the 8th company.

The Collar has two small slits for NCO buttons fortunately I was able to find 1 button at the show though I have not been able to find another online yet to make it symmetrical.

While it has a bit of moth damage the seller was pricing it to move and most of the damage is in odd less obvious areas so I don't mind it all. The only thing that concerns me about the uniform is that the 13th regiment is listed as having yellow piping on the Brandenberg cuffs while this one has white. I'm assuming this soldier was transferred to the 13th updated his shoulder straps and left this in closet once the army switched to feldgrau in the 10s or was transferred during reserve and didn't really have to wear it out anymore.

Now I need to get a torso mannequin and the appropriate head gear for this to make a nice display! Thank you for reading and for any information.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre WW1 Bavarian Uniform   Pre WW1 Bavarian Uniform  

Pre WW1 Bavarian Uniform   Pre WW1 Bavarian Uniform  

Pre WW1 Bavarian Uniform   Pre WW1 Bavarian Uniform  

Pre WW1 Bavarian Uniform  

Looks like a very nice uniform Politefaun! I recently picked up an Imperial German 44th Field Artillery Regiment Dunkelblau Tunic, and am a little unsure about the shoulder patches on mine and doing research, so unfortunately won’t be much help at this point unfortunately.

Is there any chance that the piping may have been yellow and has faded? Just asking as it is a little hard to see from the photos. Your hypothesis about the transfer of the soldier may well be quite a sound theory as we know soldier were transferred to different regiments quite often. You’ve most likely looked at Tony’s wonderful Kaisers Bunker website, but if not I’m sure you may find some answers there.

Andy

Such an awesome pickup! These old uniforms, most countrys from the era, are so odd to me. I think of military as stealthy and invisible and yet a uniform such as this is the opposite of camouflage. Hard to imagine the Colonial days in America with soldiers playing drums and flutes in battle while other combatants are literally shooting them down. Then you have the Husars with the giant skull on their caps screaming “shoot here”. Very cool stuff and I hope you can find all the accoutrements that go with your new treasure.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

You have to bear in mind the nature of warfare at the time. The brightly coloured uniforms were necessary in the time before the invention of smokeless powder (after the first volleys, on a still day, the entire field was shrouded in smoke and the commanders would struggle to see their troops in order to manoeuvre them).
    Furthermore, the smoothbore muskets were wildly inaccurate, so an easy target made no difference whatsoever. Even at a few paces, you were lucky to hit what you were pointing at (note, pointing at, rather than aiming, as sights were pointless on these weapons). However, if you did hit anything, the extent of damage from a .75” lead ball would be devastating.
    The bugles and drums were vital for sending clear commands over the noise, prior to the development of radio communications.

It has always seemed particularly ironic that the French Army was one of (if not) the last to rid itself of its virtually Napoleonic uniforms, at a time when most others were in dull camouflage, when French chemists played such a major part in the development of smokeless powder (not the army’s choice, but a succession of penny-pinching governments)!

A very nice tunic, by the way, Faun!

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Looks like a very nice uniform Politefaun! I recently picked up an Imperial German 44th Field Artillery Regiment Dunkelblau Tunic, and am a little unsure about the shoulder patches on mine and doing research, so unfortunately won’t be much help at this point unfortunately.

Is there any chance that the piping may have been yellow and has faded? Just asking as it is a little hard to see from the photos. Your hypothesis about the transfer of the soldier may well be quite a sound theory as we know soldier were transferred to different regiments quite often. You’ve most likely looked at Tony’s wonderful Kaisers Bunker website, but if not I’m sure you may find some answers there.

Andy
    I had similar thought on the white being a faded yellow after reading the 13th regiment had yellow piping, but to me in person it looks too white to have been faded I'll post another picture of it. You're 100% right on Tony's site lol, it's a great reference and I always enjoy visiting to see all the items he has on display.

Thats a great pick up, the Prussian blue uniforms are one of the nicest uniforms out there and they don't pop up too often. Just wondering have you posted it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre WW1 Bavarian Uniform  

To be honest, it appears like a faded yellow piping to my eyes, but you have it in hand. Is there any way to take a peak in the edge of the piping i.e. behind, just in case the sun has faded the exposed side?

I haven’t posted my tunic yet as I’m still not sure about the black and white piping shoulder straps and wanted to research it a little more, but here’s a couple of dealer photos. I haven’t had a chance or the right light to do it yet.

And I agree, they do look very nice and a relatively cheaper compared to war time feldgrau tunics. I have a belt and brass buckle that I’ll display with it along with a my shiny pre-war Pickelhaube.

Pre WW1 Bavarian UniformPre WW1 Bavarian Uniform

?

I don’t have the right book with me at the moment, but I believe the black and white twist cord indicates a fixed term volunteer (I forget the duration, but 3 years is echoing inside my swede).
    I’ll let you know when I get back.

MAP
    ?

Great tunic. In hand it looks beautiful and you got it for a good price.

As I said at the show. "If you don't buy it, I will!" LoL Next year I'll find one!

@Andy: love yours as well
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Hello all, recently picked up this up this Bavarian infantry tunic from the MAX show. I'm not exactly sure how old it is since the stamp is faded, but I'm guessing it's from the 1890s or early 1900s. The shoulder straps are for the 13th infantry regiment which is named after Franz Josef I, and has shoulder buttons with "8" on them which I'm assuming roughly translates to the 8th company.

The Collar has two small slits for NCO buttons fortunately I was able to find 1 button at the show though I have not been able to find another online yet to make it symmetrical.

While it has a bit of moth damage the seller was pricing it to move and most of the damage is in odd less obvious areas so I don't mind it all. The only thing that concerns me about the uniform is that the 13th regiment is listed as having yellow piping on the Brandenberg cuffs while this one has white. I'm assuming this soldier was transferred to the 13th updated his shoulder straps and left this in closet once the army switched to feldgrau in the 10s or was transferred during reserve and didn't really have to wear it out anymore.

Now I need to get a torso mannequin and the appropriate head gear for this to make a nice display! Thank you for reading and for any information.
    Very nice tunic, the pattern dates from 1910 with these so called Brandeburg cuffs with three plain buttons. The yellow piping on such tunics was used by the 3rd Guard Grenadier Regiment, Guard Fusilier Regiment; infantry regiments; 112, 118, 142; Infantry Regiments of the V, VI, XVI and XVII Army Corps Districts: 3rd Guard FA Regiment.

Sorry Politefaun, I read your post again and you thought the piping was white;

Pre WW1 Bavarian Uniform

From Imperial German Army 1900-1918 by Stephens and Maddocks.