Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Red Baron 4-21-1918

Article about: Manfred von Richthofen died April 21, 1918, 105 years ago. It was stories like his along with a popular song at the time and movies such as the Blue Max that are responsible for sparking my

Default The Red Baron 4-21-1918

Manfred von Richthofen died April 21, 1918, 105 years ago.
    It was stories like his along with a popular song at the time and movies
    such as the Blue Max that are responsible for sparking my interest in ww1.

R.I.P.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Red Baron 4-21-1918  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Nice mini red Fokker, minis & portrait

Regards
    Santi

Nice tribute Greg!

It was still us who brought him down !!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

A agree Greg. A very interesting character, worthy of a whole forum. Hope you don't mind, I've attached a few photos of events post his crash. One interesting question remains, where did his machine guns end up? I understand they were on display in the UK in the war years shortly after, but then disappeared. The Nazis latched onto him later and moved his grave back to Germany.

The Red Baron 4-21-1918The Red Baron 4-21-1918The Red Baron 4-21-1918The Red Baron 4-21-1918The Red Baron 4-21-1918The Red Baron 4-21-1918

Thanks guys for the kind words.
    Please feel free to post any MvR related items as this is a tribute to him on the
    anniversary of his death.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

The funeral was an extraordinary show of respect by the Allied side to Von Richthofen, I believe one of the pilots carrying a wreath was the Canadian, Captain Brown who was involved in his last dogfight. Respect from other fighter pilots, the ultimate accolade he could receive.

We drank a toast to the Rittmeister over here as well. I had a party back in 2018 to mark the 100th anniversary, complete with displays and a full course German meal. My uncle was also a member of the Luftstreitkraefte, and this is what got me obsessed with aviation.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Red Baron 4-21-1918  

Richthofen was a really great man and military aviator, certainly the greatest after Marseille and Rudel. To him, chivalry was more than just a word. Unfortunately, as the war progressed, this chivalry was lost more and more on both sides.

Cheers, Richthofen!