Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Request For Translation Help -- General Balck Postcard

Article about: Hello everyone, Yesterday I purchased a grouping of WWI German photo postcards at a local shop. All of the cards are photos of soldiers convalescing at a hospital. I did n't notice till afte

?

Default Request For Translation Help -- General Balck Postcard

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I purchased a grouping of WWI German photo postcards at a local shop. All of the cards are photos of soldiers convalescing at a hospital. I did n't notice till afterwards that a couple of the cards are addressed to a General Balck. I'm curious about who is sending the letter to the General. Could it be a fellow soldier under his command or possibly a relative? I've read where Generalmajor Balck was wounded himself and had a son, Herman, was also wounded. If someone would be willing to translate the card for me or provide additional insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for any help and comments.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Request For Translation Help -- General Balck Postcard   Request For Translation Help -- General Balck Postcard  

Request For Translation Help -- General Balck Postcard   Request For Translation Help -- General Balck Postcard  

The letter was written by a nurse; very likely the woman in the center of the group photograph. It says:

"May I use these greetings to remind you of me and ask you how you and your loved ones are? I have not heard from you in such a long time and hope that nothing sad has happened to keep you from writing your former nurse."

Generalmajor William Balck was wounded in December 1914. He took command of the 51. Reserve-Division in September 1916 and was promoted to Generalleutnant in March 1917. That would date this card to the Sept. 1916 to March 1917 timeframe.

?

Thank you very much for taking the time to translate and for your quick response. I'm going to post the second card from the nurse to General Balck, which indicates that he was part of a different command, as well as the other photo cards in the group. Included in this group is a photo of the founder of the Red Cross and is dated 1929 (unfortunately haven't yet photographed the reverse or written-on side). Thanks again for your expertise!.

Tom

?

Here are the additional pics. Not sure of the symbolism of the X on a couple of the photos, unless it indicates that the soldier may have died. Thanks again for your help and interest.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Request For Translation Help -- General Balck Postcard   Request For Translation Help -- General Balck Postcard  

Request For Translation Help -- General Balck Postcard   Request For Translation Help -- General Balck Postcard  

Request For Translation Help -- General Balck Postcard  

That one says:

"Many cordial greetings to you from me and my 4 magnificent rascals! I came out looking awful; ah well, just like in real life. I hope you are well. Cordial greetings, your Anni."

The 13. Landwehr-Division was Balck's command from August 1915 (following his reconvalesence) until his transfer to the aforementioned 51. Reserve-Division (so this card was written before the one in the initial post).

?

Thank you HPL2008. Great information to have to accompany the group. I'm currently reading about General Balck's son who became a general during WWII and had an interesting life after the war.

Tom